Coral Tank Temp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kileki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Stable, but somewhere between the numbers suggested.

Some people will say between 72 and 83.0 F but the range and best temperature is debated by folks.
 
Is 78.2-78.6 degrees too hot for leather toadstool and dendrophyllia coral?
I keep mine around 77.1 and my leathers and softies do fine. I believe corals do slightly better at lower temps. Over a long period of time they have adapted to higher temps like certain species in the northern red sea near Egypt. Salinity at 36 ppm and temp 77. Plus if you keep the temp lower certain fish species do better like anthias as the lower temps slows their metabolism and they don't eat as much. This is my green long tentacle leather. He's gotten pretty big a d seems to like 77
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240620_213342.jpg
    IMG_20240620_213342.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 53
I keep mine around 77.1 and my leathers and softies do fine. I believe corals do slightly better at lower temps. Over a long period of time they have adapted to higher temps like certain species in the northern red sea near Egypt. Salinity at 36 ppm and temp 77. Plus if you keep the temp lower certain fish species do better like anthias as the lower temps slows their metabolism and they don't eat as much. This is my green long tentacle leather. He's gotten pretty big a d seems to like 77
It's beautiful!
 
I keep my tank around 76-77. Stability is critical, as temperature swings can irritate your tank's inhabitants.
 
I switched my heater controllers to Celsius for more granular control. I run all my tanks at 24.8C/76.6F now that we’re hitting summer in the PNW!
I did the same!!!

But I run my tank at 25.6

I’m thinking about lowering the temp a tad
 
I switched my heater controllers to Celsius for more granular control. I run all my tanks at 24.8C/76.6F now that we’re hitting summer in the PNW!
This is a great point, but I personally struggle with remembering the conversion between the two. That aside, the precision is much better with the C scale. I wonder if my chiller has that option?
 
This is a great point, but I personally struggle with remembering the conversion between the two. That aside, the precision is much better with the C scale. I wonder if my chiller has that option?
The fluctuations are much smaller, at least with my inkbird.
Temp set at 25.6 (78.08)
Heaters cut on at 25.3 (77.54)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new