Sudden Temperature Drop

CheifReeferNB

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2025
Messages
92
Reaction score
53
Location
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was creeping towards 79.3 degrees when I decided to turn on my fan to help cool it down. I mistakenly set it too high speed and it brought my temperature down to 78.6 in an hour. I caught it before it could go any lower.

Should I be concerned about a drop of 0.7F in that amount of time?
 
My tank was creeping towards 79.3 degrees when I decided to turn on my fan to help cool it down. I mistakenly set it too high speed and it brought my temperature down to 78.6 in an hour. I caught it before it could go any lower.

Should I be concerned about a drop of 0.7F in that amount of time?
No not at all tank will naturally fluctuate with a heater
 
I wouldn’t think so . My water change does that every week
 
Happens when tides and currents shift water flow on the reef, many times a day in some locations.

Some folks used to say that rapid temperature changes would trigger an Ich outbreak. I don't think that has been demonstrated to be true?
 
My tank was creeping towards 79.3 degrees when I decided to turn on my fan to help cool it down. I mistakenly set it too high speed and it brought my temperature down to 78.6 in an hour. I caught it before it could go any lower.

Should I be concerned about a drop of 0.7F in that amount of time?
NO
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new