Coral Wars, Round 2: Frogspawn versus firework clove polyps

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I've got some fireworks clove polyps that are spreading. They started to get near my healthy frogspawn coral.

No big deal, I thought, euphyllia are known for being somewhat aggressive and sending out sweeper tentacles at night. As soon at the clove polyps got within range, the frogspawn would sting them and keep the area clear.

So I thought, at least. Now, the clove polyps have gotten quite close and if anything they seem to be stinging (or at least shading) a part of the frogspawn.

Has anyone had this particular battle in their tank before? If so, can you tell me how it turned out?

itsdarrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frogspawn will keep them at bay, i have the same polyps near my torch and there is a clear line where the sweeper tentacles go

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How has this panned out? I'm wondering if maybe the frogspawn didn't yet 'feel threatened' when that first post was made, and I'm curious if it's been pushed enough to react now.

OP
OP
sixline

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has this panned out? I'm wondering if maybe the frogspawn didn't yet 'feel threatened' when that first post was made, and I'm curious if it's been pushed enough to react now.
It's not looking good for the frogspawn, unfortunately.

I probably should have acted earlier, but I think the clove polyps will overtake the frogspawn. They've gotten really close, and started to grow on the bone structure of the frogspawn. In the areas they are close, the clove polyps look healthier than the frogspawn.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not looking good for the frogspawn, unfortunately.

I probably should have acted earlier, but I think the clove polyps will overtake the frogspawn. They've gotten really close, and started to grow on the bone structure of the frogspawn. In the areas they are close, the clove polyps look healthier than the frogspawn.
You can probably scrape most of the clove polyps away with a razor blade to save the frogspawn

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%

Back