CoralCare Gen 2 vs Orphek Atlantik

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some insight to help me choose between the CoralCare Gen2 and Orphek Atlantik. I want to take advantage of the current spring sales.

Tank is a standard 4' 90g. It's SPS-dominant with some LPS and softies at or near the bottom. Most of my SPS are montis and Pocilloporidae and I plan on adding a couple more sticks to my lone Acro. I'm currently using two Viparspectra 165w. My goal in the new lights is to improve coverage, reduce PAR drop-off around the edges, and improve coral coloration.

I've read through most threads on R2R about the CoralCare Gen2, including BRS's video, Battlecorals's thread, and a number of build threads. I've also read through reviews on other sites, including Dana Riddle's review. Orpheks are a very popular light here on R2R. Not only is it frequently mentioned, but most owners seem thrilled with the lights. I could not find any articles or threads that directly compare these two lights.

Based on everything I've read, the considerations that stood out to me include...

Coralcare:
- Spectrum is not for those who prefer the "American" blue lighting
- Best LED at replicating T5 coverage
- Heavy light due to passive-cooling design, but has external power supply
- App is easy to use
- 25,000 hour lifespan
- Total cost on BRS with current sale for 2 lights and controller: $1619 + tax (controller is included for free)

Orphek:
- More popular here on R2R and most people love them
- Color spectrum more suited for our preferences here in the U.S.
- Some complaints about app usability and reliability
- 50,000 hour lifespan
- Total cost on BRS with current sale for 2 lights and controller: $1453 + tax

The top thing that I hear over and over again is that CoralCare color spectrum is not for everyone. I don't think I will mind the whiter color spectrum since my Viparspectras make my tank much whiter than tanks running Radions and Kessils. My tank looks like windex for 4 hours of the day and has a much whiter spectrum for the remaining 8 hours.

Anyone else have any additional feedback that might help me finally make a decision between the two? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who owns either of these lights.

Last edited:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than Dana Riddle, you will be lucky if you find someone who's had an opportunity to compare these two lights.

I'm happy with my Orpheks. At these prices both lights should be good performers.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had Orpheks on old tank and liked them. On new tank, due to dimensional coverage needed, considered Phillips and Stratons which I view as having a similar . Difference maker for me was the weight of the CC's vs. the Straton as well as the the bulky look of the CC's vs. the extremely appealing low profile Straton. Went with the Straton for those reasons but also installed a couple of Orphek light bars to have the best of both worlds. Any of the above will work well for you. I do believe that you will get more of a t5 look with the CC's than the Orpheks if that is what you are going for.

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some insight to help me choose between the CoralCare Gen2 and Orphek Atlantik. I want to take advantage of the current spring sales.

Tank is a standard 4' 90g. It's SPS-dominant with some LPS and softies at or near the bottom. Most of my SPS are montis and Pocilloporidae and I plan on adding a couple more sticks to my lone Acro. I'm currently using two Viparspectra 165w. My goal in the new lights is to improve coverage, reduce PAR drop0off around the edges, and improve coral coloration.

I've read through most threads on R2R about the CoralCare Gen2, including BRS's video, Battlecorals's thread, and a number of build threads. I've also read through reviews on other sites, including Dana Riddle's review. Orpheks are a very popular light here on R2R. Not only is it frequently mentioned, but most owners seem thrilled with the lights. I could not find any articles or threads that directly compare these two lights.

Based on everything I've read, the considerations that stood out to me include...

Coralcare:
- Spectrum is not for those who prefer the "American" blue lighting
- Best LED at replicating T5 coverage
- Heavy light due to passive-cooling design, but has external power supply
- App is easy to use
- 25,000 hour lifespan
- Total cost on BRS with current sale for 2 lights and controller: $1619 + tax (controller is included for free)

Orphek:
- More popular here on R2R and most people love them
- Color spectrum more suited for our preferences here in the U.S.
- Some complaints about app usability and reliability
- 50,000 hour lifespan
- Current sale on BRS has this about $150
- Total cost on BRS with current sale for 2 lights and controller: $1453 + tax

The top thing that I hear over and over again is that CoralCare color spectrum is not for everyone. I don't think I will mind the whiter color spectrum since my Viparspectras make my tank much whiter than tanks running Radions and Kessils. My tank looks like windex for 4 hours of the day and has a much whiter spectrum for the remaining 8 hours.

Anyone else have any additional feedback that might help me finally make a decision between the two? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who owns either of these lights.

Just got my tank up and running I have two of the Orphek Atlantik on mine and love the colorant lights. The app isnt too bad and I also spoke with someone at Orphek and they told me that there should be a new app out in a few months. They said that COVID is slowing it down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im full Orphek and for a reason. Will be hard to beat with PAR comparisons

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great feedback, appreciate everyone’s input.

I actually never even considered Stratons but will take a look at them as well. I’m undecided on whether I prefer the T5 look, which is leading to some of my indecision.

Great to hear that Orphek is working on addressing the app issues. If I go with Orpheks, hopefully the app won’t even be an issue as I’m not one that is constantly adjusting my lights.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my tank up and running I have two of the Orphek Atlantik on mine and love the colorant lights. The app isnt too bad and I also spoke with someone at Orphek and they told me that there should be a new app out in a few months. They said that COVID is slowing it down.
New app coming out? If true, this is excellent news! The current app is the only weakness with these lights.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have three CoralCare fixtures over my standard 180 and do like them to this point. As said they do mimic t5 very well with excellent coverage and color blending. At mid day they do add a tiny bit of shimmer due to 4 clear spots in the diffuser plate in front of white led's. The other positives for this fixture is the 2 year warranty as opposed to the one with the Straton. (Don't know Orphek's warranty). Also the diffuser plate is made of glass so a little more durable. Unfortunately as stated the weight can be a potential issue but with the onboard ballast and passive cooling they're built like a tank. Certainly not the sleek look of the ATI's.

I can't say they're best or worst as I've never owned the other two and they're basically new to the market. I can say my tank has not skipped a beat since switching from halides. I just hope they perform in the long run. I think they'll work fine along with the ATI's but as of now the only fixture with any track record for growing and coloring corals out of the three currently being discussed are the Orpheks. That's if you don't count the success of the 1st gen CoralCare fixtures in Europe.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have three CoralCare fixtures over my standard 180 and do like them to this point. As said they do mimic t5 very well with excellent coverage and color blending. At mid day they do add a tiny bit of shimmer due to 4 clear spots in the diffuser plate in front of white led's. The other positives for this fixture is the 2 year warranty as opposed to the one with the Straton. (Don't know Orphek's warranty). Also the diffuser plate is made of glass so a little more durable. Unfortunately as stated the weight can be a potential issue but with the onboard ballast and passive cooling they're built like a tank. Certainly not the sleek look of the ATI's.

I can't say they're best or worst as I've never owned the other two and they're basically new to the market. I can say my tank has not skipped a beat since switching from halides. I just hope they perform in the long run. I think they'll work fine along with the ATI's but as of now the only fixture with any track record for growing and coloring corals out of the three currently being discussed are the Orpheks. That's if you don't count the success of the 1st gen CoralCare fixtures in Europe.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Did you go through a transition period or use the built in transition feature?

Glad you brought up the warranty. Looks like Orphek offers a 1 year warranty. Definitely an important consideration since I’ve read a number of complaints about LED and board failures with Orphek.

Unholy_Rigatoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you brought up the warranty. Looks like Orphek offers a 1 year warranty. Definitely an important consideration since I’ve read a number of complaints about LED and board failures with Orphek.
Yeah - does Orphek still have the issue of purple/violet LEDs burning out? They'd be a top consideration for me if not for the app and reliability reports I've read.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked a bit into Stratons and they are impressive. I understand the comparisons between with CC... they almost appear to be direct competitors going after the same type of reefers. Only downfall is the price... I would be paying $500 more for the Stratons right now with the CC sale.

I’m currently leaning towards getting the CC over the Orpheks out of concern of reliability of the latter. While many of the issues are coming from pre 2020 version, it’s enough to influence my decision. I have no interest in opening up the lights and installing replacement diodes and parts myself, which I’ve read a number of other R2Rers mention as Orphek’s approach to resolving issues.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using orpheks a while now and I still feel they are overall one of, if not the best light out there. I would go with them over coral care, i think the straton would be more tempting between the two. That being said if I was mounting low to the water I would go with coral care as the orphek do well mounted higher for blending, but the spectrum is pretty unbeatable for lights and they are par monsters.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - does Orphek still have the issue of purple/violet LEDs burning out? They'd be a top consideration for me if not for the app and reliability reports I've read.

Looks like we posted at the same time... you nailed my exact concern in my post right after yours. I’m curious to hear about anyone with a post April 2020 version of the Orpheks to see if they are experiencing any of these issues.

Unholy_Rigatoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like we posted at the same time... you nailed my exact concern in my post right after yours. I’m curious to hear about anyone with a post April 2020 version of the Orpheks to see if they are experiencing any of these issues.
+1. At that price I'm not gonna mess around with replacing LEDs and what not!

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used the built in acclimation program. Went from 60% to my current predominant settings of 100% blue and 80% white over 3 weeks. I do have them at 100% on both channels for an hour and a half to simulate mid day. Not my favorite look but recommended by Luke Vogels the Philips engineer who headed the development of these.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using orpheks a while now and I still feel they are overall one of, if not the best light out there. I would go with them over coral care, i think the straton would be more tempting between the two. That being said if I was mounting low to the water I would go with coral care as the orphek do well mounted higher for blending, but the spectrum is pretty unbeatable for lights and they are par monsters.

Great point about the mounting height. That is one of my current pain points... I built my canopy far two short. My Viparspectra are currently 6.5” above the water. I can squeeze another 1.5” max without having to make changes to my canopy. Dana Riddle’s review of the CC included a PAR mapping for the lights mounted at 6” and the results were impressive.

OP
OP
Pau Hana Reefer

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the built in acclimation program. Went from 60% to my current predominant settings of 100% blue and 80% white over 3 weeks. I do have them at 100% on both channels for an hour and a half to simulate mid day. Not my favorite look but recommended by Luke Vogels the Philips engineer who headed the development of these.

I recall that recommendation and it seems others are seeing great results from his recommendations.

Is it not your favorite when they’re at midday seems due to the color spectrum or something else?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some of mine burn out and it was just outside the warranty period of my orphek. They still sent me the upgraded board for shipping only despite me offering to pay for it. Here is a close up of the leds new vs old. You can see they significantly upgraded the connections on the leds so I am not worried about them failing on the new lights. Also bonus pic of acro and clam 2mo growth under orphek.
7CBFCAD3-3D9C-4A14-89E4-DAEAD6236432.jpeg
BC294E62-122D-45D3-8924-F7EEAC1CBD14.png

Back