coralife 24' aqualight pro t5 and metal halide

angelrsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i need help knowing if this light is good for a 45gl tank aio , but not sure if the light is too strong for a tank that size any help is appreciated.

it has 2, 65 watt actinic blues and 1 ,150 watt metal halide 10,000k hqi light

i really want to keep the light for growth and coloration since i only bought brand new in box for $10

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so i need help knowing if this light is good for a 45gl tank aio , but not sure if the light is too strong for a tank that size any help is appreciated.

it has 2, 65 watt actinic blues and 1 ,150 watt metal halide 10,000k hqi light

i really want to keep the light for growth and coloration since i only bought brand new in box for $10
Nope! It's pure poop. I have (had) one over my 20g long coral qt tank. When I measured par 8" down in the tank it was at 35. When I brought it to the water level it was at 80. It won't grow anything. Toss it.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, sorry, wrong light. Mine was the 24" T5 only fixture. Mh will do wonders. I will say, you need to measure par. I used a Seneye that I picked up used for cheap.

OP
OP
A

angelrsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! It's pure poop. I have (had) one over my 20g long coral qt tank. When I measured par 8" down in the tank it was at 35. When I brought it to the water level it was at 80. It won't grow anything. Toss it.
ok so i should just keep my ai hydra instead, bummer for a $10 fixture i would think it was good with the metal halide.

Subarody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I’d weigh in...I have the same light but I think those 65w are power compact not t5’s especially at 24”. The 24” t5’s are 24 watts each. At least in my case the 65w are power compact and one had burnt out. I’ve searched all over for a replacement bulb and have found they are discontinued. I’m in the process of building a canopy and installing a 2 bulb t5’s retrofit kit to compliment the MH and the lunar lights of the fixture.
I’ve just started this new tank and have no coral yet but 10 years ago with the fixture brand new I was growing some easy SPS and LPS with it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back