OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it's 12k at 100%. Maybe drop that 12k to say 70% max intensity?

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But before you mentioned turning down then say something about increasing intensity.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am somewhat confused right about now :)

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your return pump has a screen on it, otherwise a small shell can break your impeller! I've been running mine with the sponge and no screen on the pump. I have a Refugium in chamber 2, with lots of stomatella snails and small limpits, so I have to protect the pump.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah. Maybe I am misreading you are saying increase the intensity? When acclimation is done (9/10) the lights will be 12k at 100% max intensity for 4 hours. Lights on a 10 hour period

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am confused as to if my lights are scheduled to run at 12k, at 100% intensity schedule how to increase light intensity. That's not making sense

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was saying is your lights are on at full intensity because there an acclimation mode. Honestly if you're 9/10 of the way through it I would just ride it out until there at 100% and then give corals sa little bit of time to acclimate and adjust there tank positioning from there. I thought that you may be earlier in acclamation so I thought your intensity percentage was lower.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also curious how much you are feeding. This is off the subject of the lighting but I was just curious because of your phosphate and nitrate levels. I know that your tank is young but with doing two water changes a week they shouldn't be that high.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While most softies and some LPS enjoy more nutrients you still strive for under .035 phosphates and approximately 3 to 5 nitrate. I do not think that you should be having that large of a problem. You are on the right track and removing that sponge will definitely help. Also a protein skimmer does wonders I would also consider running Purigan it is like a protein skimmer in a bag for a nano tank

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok:

My lighting is currently set for 14k:

@100% intensity:

10k:

Red: 100
U Violet: 88
Deep Blue: 88
Violet: 88
Cool White: 100
Green: 100
Blue: 88

12K = all are maxed at 100

14k:

Red: 45
UV: 100
DB: 100
V: 100
CW: 45
G: 45
B: 100

16k:

R: 35
UV: 100
DB: 100
V: 100
CW: 35
G: 35
B: 100

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would definitely stick to 12 K for the time being and allow the acclimation to finish. After it finishes give your corals some time to adjust see wha they're doing and adjust their position from there

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also curious how much you are feeding. This is off the subject of the lighting but I was just curious because of your phosphate and nitrate levels. I know that your tank is young but with doing two water changes a week they shouldn't be that high.

There are no fish in the tank at the moment. Once a week, I put a piece of Nori rubber banded to a piece of rock, and drop in overnight to feed the hermits and snails. I also drop in 2-3 Crab Bites pellets to feed the nassarius snails the same night I do the Nori. That's the only feeding that goes on in the tank. Was strongly advised to not feed corals, it just causes problems.

While most softies and some LPS enjoy more nutrients you still strive for under .035 phosphates and approximately 3 to 5 nitrate. I do not think that you should be having that large of a problem. You are on the right track and removing that sponge will definitely help. Also a protein skimmer does wonders I would also consider running Purigan it is like a protein skimmer in a bag for a nano tank

The rocks I have are Marco Rocks. I was told they do not leech PO4, so I didn't cure them the way I did the Pukani downstairs. The Marco Rocks absolutely leech PO4.

I don't know anything about Purigen or how I would even go about using it. With being new, I tend to stay away from the things that I don't know about, or that may create more work.

I am efforting to get an HOB skimmer that is rated for twice my tank. If that happens, perhaps I'll get a media rack to use in the 2nd chamber. I've really tried to stay away from cutting and stuff because I honestly don't know that much about it.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would definitely stick to 12 K for the time being and allow the acclimation to finish. After it finishes give your corals some time to adjust see wha they're doing and adjust their position from there

I moved the zoanthid up. Just set up a program for 12k, and a 3 week acclimation period starting at 50%.

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah I almost made the same mistake. After eating plenty of Reviews I found out that Marcola rocks definitely lead phosphates but water changes and maybe some GFO should solve that. A protein skimmer will definitely help with your nitrates. And I strongly suggest doing some research on Puritan it is very simple to use you just toss it in a high flow area and every 6 months or when it starts to brown out you recharge it by bleaching it. It is a very simple and effective product especially for nano tanks.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use that in the space occupied by the sponge prior to the return area?

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would set your acclimation back to what it was if you were going to move the coral up you do not need to turn it back down as the coral has already adjusted to the light level that it was that. Moving it up in the tank is essentially the same thing as turning the lights up higher.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is where the InTank Media rack would come in handy.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back