Coraline algae falling off in sheets

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the year I have a thick build up of coraline algae on the back glass of my Reefer 250.
Recently is has started to break off and over the last few days it has come off in sheets, several inches long. It is still pink in color but now lying on my sand bed.
I have lowered my alkalinity lately as I was starting to get burnt tips on my acros but it was coming away before this.
It is starting to get cold here in the uk and I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
Any ideas?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the year I have a thick build up of coraline algae on the back glass of my Reefer 250.
Recently is has started to break off and over the last few days it has come off in sheets, several inches long. It is still pink in color but now lying on my sand bed.
I have lowered my alkalinity lately as I was starting to get burnt tips on my acros but it was coming away before this.
It is starting to get cold here in the uk and I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
Any ideas?
Mine does that too. Once it gets really big, it falls off in big sheets. I thinks that’s normal.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks.
Do you remove it? Mine is mostly behind my rock work so not really doing any harm.
Sell it ..or give it too someone too seed their tank with coraline...:D

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks.
Do you remove it? Mine is mostly behind my rock work so not really doing any harm.
I sometimes remove it during maintenance. If it falls behind rocks, I let it go. I don’t think it’s a problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back