Coraline Algae Question

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of you know my tank is a little over a month now. I added a med sized rock covered in coraline. I have brushed it twice in front of my powerhead. When can I start seeing some growth? I dose kalk so my calcium is 480 ppg.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it time. it will come. mine seems to explode in spurts. what kinds of lights are you using?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude it will happen soon enough. Just keep your parameters stable, and before you know it, you'll be scraping it off the front glass.

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate coraline algae. I'm always scrapin' it from the glass. I used to try and keep at least the sides and front clean. Now I do good just to handle the front. And I'm only workin' with a small 20 gal tank.

Steve

Abiathar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, just give it time. Once it starts, it will take off like wildfire and you'll be constantly scraping it off the front so you can see in the tank.

Steve

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw... I have it growing in my Skimmer now. it gets natural light in the garage and its growing in the bubbled up enviroment.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, yep everyone wants it to start with, then in becomes a pain and we wish it would go away. Give it a little time to get established and it will show up. I'd be curious to hear about growth from those with LEDs though to compare with CF, Metal halides, and T5s. Best coralline growth I've ever had was under CF lighting.

Abiathar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running LEDs on my 5.5 but it is still too young to tell. It is slowly starting to grow, but hasn't taken off, yet. The macro algae in the tank is doing great as are the pods, crabs, shrimp and fish.

Steve

greyowl2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yap in due time you will get sick of it I running 2 55`s and a 110 gal and it is a pain ! but pretty ,my lites are T5`s

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read somewhere that the actinocs only seem to encourage its growth. When I was doing a modified light cycle, my coralline exploded due to running actinics only for 4 -6 hours daily vs 2.

OP
OP
LeoLionFish

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So instead of starting a new thread... Let me ask some lighting questions. Should I start my actinic strip LEDs an hour before my 10k and 15k LEDs?? And then run them an hour after they turn off?? Given my current lights what do you all recommend on a lighting schedule? How long and what times to turn on and off??

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually 8-12 hours depending on what u want .. i would do a light cycle that works best for when you are at home to view your tank the most. you could grow corals just fine with your lights off during the day and have them on at night if you was a late night person. what matters is they get plenty of light for food and darkness for rest.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like Mike said, you can start the 8-12 hour cycle whenever you want. I personally have my lunar LED's come on around 10am for one hour. then my Blue Actinics come on for 2 hours, then my daylights after that. Then basically reverse this cycle with the daylights going out, then the actinics, then the LED's last. All this is in a 12 hour cycle. I like my lights to be on til at least 10pm, that is right about the time I usually go to bed. So I can enjoy my tank when I home.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back