Coraline algae ?

a123h

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2026
Messages
52
Reaction score
19
Location
australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f572b1bc-3139-466d-bd52-1f245a8e1ee0.jpg
65955bae-2c0d-49e5-be50-6f9ead3d2cc3.jpg
55e5b00d-4981-4661-8fb7-99859e4e65af.jpg
Is this the start of coralline algae . Tank is 8 months old.
 
A photo under white light would help. Considering the tank age it's very well possible. You can scrape some of it off and put it in some vinegar. It should dissolve and fizz a bit as coralline algae is calcium carbonate to a large extent.

It's also possible you have some other encrusting algae that (strictly speaking) isn't coralline algae (taxinomic order: Corallinales), but something else. The community would still refer to it as coralline as long as it's encrusting 😊
 
Looks like it to me, but like Enter' said, better light would help to be more sure. (But I'm already pretty sure.)
 
A photo under white light would help. Considering the tank age it's very well possible. You can scrape some of it off and put it in some vinegar. It should dissolve and fizz a bit as coralline algae is calcium carbonate to a large extent.

It's also possible you have some other encrusting algae that (strictly speaking) isn't coralline algae (taxinomic order: Corallinales), but something else. The community would still refer to it as coralline as long as it's encrusting 😊
1d41700c-2b21-4f54-896b-e0a6c4cd94db.jpg
Here it is under white lighting, doesnt seem as much like coraline now?
 
I dont think its coralline algae, is it purple ?

Honestly, it is cool and all..
but when you get it all over your display tank esp along the silicon and its hard to scrap them off...
 
Do not try to scrape it off the silicone. That is the easiest way to damage it. I let it grow over the silicone with no ill effects.
Coralline comes in many colors.
I just took this with a flashlight in my 5 month old growout system.
You can see the different colors and some are the color of your system. I get it my 150 as it grows over the purple too.
20261005_062826.jpg
 
Do not try to scrape it off the silicone. That is the easiest way to damage it. I let it grow over the silicone with no ill effects.
Coralline comes in many colors.
I just took this with a flashlight in my 5 month old growout system.
You can see the different colors and some are the color of your system. I get it my 150 as it grows over the purple too.
20261005_062826.jpg
Yeah i would just leave it i dont mind it i want it to occur as people say its a sign of a stable matured tank. This is a picture of it under white light does it still seem like coralline ?
2aff7b15-4709-44fa-a702-dab95d11bab3.jpg
 
20261005_083407_6170BD30-0D16-4403-8E45-96B4F4BF0D9B.png

Coraline algea should be very pink or purple. You can see the color difference on the back of the tank. Bust best bet it will develop eventually!
 
Not all coralline algae are pink, purple or red. There are also grey, brown, and green varieties, even though true coralline algae belong to the division of red algae (Rhodophyta).

I have a similar growth on my back wall. I haven't gotten around to taking proper photos yet, but it's a green mat that grows a bit differently than coralline algae. So I believe it's an encrusting algae species that doesn't belong to the order Corallinales, but I lack the taxonomic knowledge about algae to say that with absolute certainty. Either way, the community calls all encrusting algae coralline algae, so you can go with that for now 😅

It's indeed "impossible" to scrape off even with metal blades.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new