Coralline after 2 days?

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tanks a month ago using turbo start and phantom feeding. Been testing water and it's where I need to be, I put a sw guppy in one and a little chromi in the other , so far so good been about a week maybe. Anyway, I ordered some pieces of corraline algae 2 days ago and crushed it up and sprinkled it in. Not I have a light pink spot in the sand. Could I have taken that quickly? I was expecting it to take weeks or months.

Edit, worth noting: I started with dry rock and dry pulverized limestone substrate. The dry rock was in a freshwater soak for 24 hours as well. Brand new tanks. All new equipment at startup. All new filter media.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tanks a month ago using turbo start and phantom feeding. Been testing water and it's where I need to be, I put a sw guppy in one and a little chromi in the other , so far so good been about a week maybe. Anyway, I ordered some pieces of corraline algae 2 days ago and crushed it up and sprinkled it in. Not I have a light pink spot in the sand. Could I have taken that quickly? I was expecting it to take weeks or months.
Do you have any pictures? What you are describing sounds a lot like Cyanobacteria (Coralline tends not to colonize the sandbed while Cyanobacteria can).

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no not cyano!!! I have been dreading that since I battled FW cyano forever and ended up having to bleach my tanks

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some pics, it's hard because my phone is picking up a discoball effect that isn't visible irl. But the big oval and small circle at 5 o clock from it are the suspect spots.
20211106_145512.jpg
20211106_145500.jpg

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just posted them at the same time you replied

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently freaking out
Don't freak out over cyano, it may not be pretty but it isn't going to kill anything. Completely reversible too.

I see way too many people overreacting to it and start changing and adding stuff.

Just let it ride and remove by hand bit by bit, it will go away eventually

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah cyano is not that big of a deal.we all went thru it. Just rid the wave and keep up your water changes. It will go away eventually. I would also control the light duration ( decrease it) to limit algae photosynthesis. Your tank will mature and populate with benefitial bacteria and that will balance your exo systems few months down the line

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, like the stuff that’s used for lawn and gardening? Does it say what type of limestone it is?

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, like the stuff that’s used for lawn and gardening? Does it say what type of limestone it is?
You might be thinking of garden lime. That's not this. This is limestone that has been run through a crusher then a pulverizer, nothing added.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is cyano. Also I would ditch that sand based on particle size alone it looks really fine. I would also be worried about chemicals. Inland quarries are not the most clean placed and subject to farm runoff.

OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I'm gonna keep with the sand for now, dial lighting back a smidge and see what happens. Not adding any stock for a long while and what's in there now is happy and Params are nice

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back