OP
MatthewSS7

MatthewSS7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say maybe 10-12 hermits in a 24 gallon. Emerald crabs eat bubble algae and hair algae, but mostly the bubble. The cycle (as I’ve experienced it) goes hair, red cyano (optional), bubble, coralline. Right now I’m in the bubble stage with one of my tanks and the emerald has really helped! I’m not a fan of dosing chemicals/ meds to my DT cause I’m just scared of it, I prefer natural alternatives. I’d get another one so maybe your bubble algae problem won’t be too bad, try giving it a veggie pellet with tweezers like 2-3 times a week or however much you think it needs as supplement to the natural algae in your tank. It’s hard to tell when inverts starve to death cause you can’t see them lose weight. Did he ever molt for you? No molting= no growth= probably not getting enough food

He didn’t molt that I witnessed but I directly fed him supplemental foods couple times a week. Maybe not nutrient rich enough though. I’m dealing with cyano in the sand bed now. Snails and hermits stir it up enough to where it stays buried below surface.
No signs of bubble yet. Maybe I need to get more hermits and an emerald to be proactive?

3D9D473E-1342-451D-950C-A7684B4B083C.jpeg

OP
OP
MatthewSS7

MatthewSS7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly purple and pink coralline. I do have some spots of green just like yours.
Only pic I have as its very limited but it it green and hard to scrape off the glass just like the rest.
20200614_175557.jpg
That’s very encouraging! Thanks. I was thinking it was maybe film algae on top of purple/pink or something. But maybe this is just a semi normal thing.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gross, cyano. Hate that stuff. Fighting conchs are good at stirring up the sand and cleaning it, so are serpent stars and sand shifting cucumbers, not too much ‘blizzarding’ with them as with sand shifting fish.

OP
OP
MatthewSS7

MatthewSS7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gross, cyano. Hate that stuff. Fighting conchs are good at stirring up the sand and cleaning it, so are serpent stars and sand shifting cucumbers, not too much ‘blizzarding’ with them as with sand shifting fish.

I’ve read a few things about those livestock. What will work well in my 24gal?

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a bit late, but if I remember correctly there are multiple color variations of coraline algae. According to wikapedia, "The colors of these algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, but some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white, or gray-green."

Damian reef boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a bit late, but if I remember correctly there are multiple color variations of coraline algae. According to wikapedia, "The colors of these algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, but some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white, or gray-green."
Intresting how a blue rock would look ehh

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back