Coralline algae on my corals

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’ve got coralline algae crusting all my lps. And basically has been choking them out. Is this a thing or could it be just a coincidence that they die after the coralline encrusted them? Any thoughts or advice would be swell.

image.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else killed the heads like maybe that deep red cyano and the coraline just encrusted on dead coral skeleton.

OP
OP
Phlipper

Phlipper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else killed the heads like maybe that deep red cyano and the coraline just encrusted on dead coral skeleton.
I’m not sure if the cyano would have done it. I’ve had it for probably 4 years and it just stays on the under side of some rocks. Is it real bad?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if the cyano would have done it. I’ve had it for probably 4 years and it just stays on the under side of some rocks. Is it real bad?
Well it develops due to parameters being out of norm. The two remaining heads on that coral are receded and there is no coraline encrusting them so your theory is not realistic. We would need your complete tank parameters, lights. Flow. Age, etc... to make further assessment but those heads have been gone awhile to allow coraline to cover them.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you had that very same looking coral for 4 years?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The darker algae looks more like benign red encrusting algae, such as Peyssonnelia or Hildenbrandia, which really shouldn't become an issue.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back