Coralline Algae or Encrusting Sponge? Or other??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shook
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shook

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
4
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’ve had a 150 running for a year now everything in it was moved over from a 75. Since the move I’ve been battling dinos and hair algae, this new stuff just showed up slowly. It’s reddish/purple in day light and under the night light it’s a glowing red/orange. The snails, crabs and urchins eat everything around it except it. Also 2 maroon clowns have become very protective over it. I’m desperately hoping it’s not a new dino I’m very very close to completing my war on the currant one and the hair algae is also starting to thin out. If anyone is interested the rocks are from my local area they’re almost black and I adore them as contrast, they do not have native metals and are mostly composed of basalt.
20260130_050008_76D2C766-06BD-4B5A-B12C-0D3448A76094.png
 
Sounds like cyano if it glows under blues. Does it brush off easily?
I’ll have to check after work, it’s on a hard to reach spot I haven’t had time to crawl half way into the tank yet :D thank you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new