Coralline Algae

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my pinkish purplish coralline algae has started growing, but my pipe organ doesn’t like it and neither does my Sinularia. My Gorgonian just got used to it. Any helpful hints?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The joys of aquariums and algae. The corals you mentioned should be fine. If there is something that only kills coralline I would love to know what it is.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The joys of aquariums and algae. The corals you mentioned should be fine. If there is something that only kills coralline I would love to know what it is.
Thanks. Pipe organ is looking good today. Sinularia is still annoyed though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my pinkish purplish coralline algae has started growing, but my pipe organ doesn’t like it and neither does my Sinularia. My Gorgonian just got used to it. Any helpful hints?
Coralline does not grow on coral flesh - why do you assume the coral is being affected by it?

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline does not grow on coral flesh - why do you assume the coral is being affected by it?
Well there are some purple strands like tickling it. Maybe I could just pull it off. The pipe organ is okay now, but I guess I’ll just remove the part that is touching the Sinularia. It would have been impossible to remove the stuff wrapped in the pipe organ, it’s all too close together. You’re right though, it’s not growing on the flesh itself.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there are some purple strands like tickling it. Maybe I could just pull it off. The pipe organ is okay now, but I guess I’ll just remove the part that is touching the Sinularia. It would have been impossible to remove the stuff wrapped in the pipe organ, it’s all too close together. You’re right though, it’s not growing on the flesh itself.
Coralline algae doesn't have "strands"... are you sure it's not cyano or another type of algae??

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I made a video. You can see it’s purple and kind of being pushed around by the flow. Better to see when it’s moving but it’s all the purple on that red rock in the bottom photo.
IMG_5660.jpeg
IMG_5662.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I made a video. You can see it’s purple and kind of being pushed around by the flow. Better to see when it’s moving but it’s all the pile on that red rock in the bottom photo.
IMG_5660.jpeg
IMG_5662.jpeg
I don't know what it is, but coralline is hard and doesn't get "pushed around in the flow." Even branching coralline is hard. You may very well have some coralline on the rock but whatever is flowy, stringy, etc is NOT coralline
If it's really purple-ish, it's probably cyano.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can I have some?

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what it is, but coralline is hard and doesn't get "pushed around in the flow." Even branching coralline is hard. You may very well have some coralline on the rock but whatever is flowy, stringy, etc is NOT coralline
If it's really purple-ish, it's probably cyano.
Yeah I think it’s probably some kind of pinkish cyano or macro algae? Maybe just diatoms? Either way, it’s weird for me because it’s not green or brown.

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have coralline algae AND white snot algae (bacteria). I’ll be using chemiclean and water changes. This is probably from sticking my arm in there that had cologne on it. Fragrance is where companies hide all their crappy ingredients like phthalates. So I got a fragrance free glycerin soap for my hands and I won’t be putting cologne on my arm or using fragrance in my laundry detergent. This snot white hair stuff grows exponentially.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have coralline algae AND white snot algae (bacteria). I’ll be using chemiclean and water changes. This is probably from stocking my arm in there that had cologne on it. Fragrance is where companies hide all their crappy ingredients like phthalates. So I got a fragrance free glycerin soap for my hands and I won’t be putting cologne on my arm or using fragrance in my laundry detergent. This snot white hair stuff grows exponentially.
Why are you adding chemicals? Bacterial blooms usually resolve without them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think it’ll go away? My phosphates and nitrates are negligible. I’m trying to keep this from making the coral from closing up and dying. The strands tickle the coral and they close up.
Without pics and more info it's impossible to say, but personally, I try to limit putting extra things in my tank and would likely never use chemiclean

OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost like it could be Dino’s to be honest. Definitely not coralline algae.
The coralline algae is developing on the flow pumps and glass in circles of what looks like a pink fungus. Doesn’t move. Looks like it’s encrusting. The white snot tho is a different color and grows really quickly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back