Purple Coralline Algae

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green coralline that grows it seems only on my acrylic but I would like to see the purple become the dominate. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding getting it to seed? My Calcium is over 500 and alk is also within range. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green coralline that grows it seems only on my acrylic but I would like to see the purple become the dominate. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding getting it to seed? My Calcium is over 500 and alk is also within range. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Age and white light pics of tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Adding rock with coralline is actually the easiest way to introduce coralline opposed to the magic liquids which rarely work. There are 1500 classifications of coralline and red algae and often identified by color by reefers in which it is believed to be the first sign of pink.
It is actually the color purple which is the highest color followed by white and even green which derives from pigments called phycobili-proteins.

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running since 2014. Admittedly, I wasn't focused on growing corals in the beginning but have never had a problem with the green varienty. There is a fair amount of cyano mixed with green algae on my rock. I'll try and get a pic when the lights come on when I am back home.

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding rock with coralline is actually the easiest way to introduce coralline opposed to the magic liquids which rarely work. There are 1500 classifications of coralline and red algae and often identified by color by reefers in which it is believed to be the first sign of pink.
It is actually the color purple which is the highest color followed by white and even green which derives from pigments called phycobili-proteins.
Thank you. i'll have to try and source some.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about 40 lbs of dead rock mixxed with 20 lbs of live rock. Corraline tool hold in a bout 3 months. Covered everything

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally . I have a 10+ year old reed w/ some coralline . I started addind Mg not it is covered ..

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When picking your cuc at your lfs pick the crabs and snails with purple coralline on their shells. If you know a fellow reefer with coralline in their tank use a razor blade and scrape it off into a container and seed your tank with it.

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When picking your cuc at your lfs pick the crabs and snails with purple coralline on their shells. If you know a fellow reefer with coralline in their tank use a razor blade and scrape it off into a container and seed your tank with it.
That's good advice. Thanks

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the hype about coraline algae. Coraline algae clogs wave makers. If I get it in my tank, I don't care, but I never try to add it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back