Coralline Experiment

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some dry rock that I have rebuilt an aquascape with to replace my existing scape in my 4 year old 75G. Before i place it in the tank I was going to see if I could get them covered with coralline algae and cycled to minimize the impact of replacing the rock structure.
I have that all in a 40b tank with some powerheads and a heater and intend to dose it with Arcreef's pink/purple helix (and neonitro/neophos for N and P). Would any of you be interested in a write up and some time-lapse photos? If yes i will put in the effort to document and share that process and if it works. Webpage says it has some nitrifying bacteria in it. They also state that it is fine to add to a "new tank" how new we shall see... but i have used it before with success.

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been cycling 8 days with Dr Tim's and NO fish but it does have dosed ammonia. Doesn't actually seem to be moving along much in 8 days still plenty of ammonia going but Tim's said it could be 14 days with live sand use and that's what I ended up using. 175g DT+Sump.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i
Tank has been cycling 8 days with Dr Tim's and NO fish but it does have dosed ammonia. Doesn't actually seem to be moving along much in 8 days still plenty of ammonia going but Tim's said it could be 14 days with live sand use and that's what I ended up using. 175g DT+Sump.
yah, that does take some time to settle out and grow the bacterial population big enough to really see quick changes in ammonia. I wish i had a 175...lol that is awesome and good luck!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would increase to at least 2 bars, coralline algae like a good amount of light

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i

yah, that does take some time to settle out and grow the bacterial population big enough to really see quick changes in ammonia. I wish i had a 175...lol that is awesome and good luck!
It's 140g display with a 35g sump. That's a decent difference in size but still not to bad.

Looking forward to this.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would increase to at least 2 bars, coralline algae like a good amount of light
one will have to do, at least until i get it into the new tank. two was not in the budget for cycling rock, lol. i do have a 24 inch 2 bulb t5 i can add should 1 Grow not be enough.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be fine to start off growth with just one, but thinking it could be a bit faster with the extra light. I would just throw on the t5, might as well if you already have it. You might even need to start dosing 2 part so stay up on alk, calcium and good luck

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be fine to start off growth with just one, but thinking it could be a bit faster with the extra light. I would just throw on the t5, might as well if you already have it. You might even need to start dosing 2 part so stay up on alk, calcium and good luck
Thank you! i hope it grows quick enough for 2 part lol. i did order another set, my last set is about gone.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, UPS says that the AI light is due tomorrow, and the purple/pink helix is due today, so it may even spend a day in natural light. Once that all gets delivered i will start a new thread with pictures and explanations of things/ water parameters and whatever else you all are curious about.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back