Coralline is no joke...

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep 2 urchins and they cant keep it under control in my 120.
My carx out corallines the 2 lol.
20200706_185834.jpg
20200706_185825.jpg

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut down an acrylic 180g because of it and got a glass aquarium so I can scrape it with a blade. It eventually got way worse than the picture and took over the front viewing panel

20191122_194215~2.jpg
I just bought some plastic razor blades on Amazon and have been working really well with removal and I dont have to worry about scratching. Recently used it on spot algae on a FW tank and using them and a plastic scraper on my small cube. Granted I don't have a 180g tank to worry about, but it works for me.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank still new and coralline is umstartingbto take off, but I think I will be in trouble soon as my coralline is starting to grow on top of the GHA...:D
20200706_170002.jpg

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it's good to have. Shows your tank is establishing and parameters are becoming stable. Keep up with keeping it clean and you'll be good to go!

My bottle is on the way and Ill be using it right away :D
Yes, I agree that's the intent and reason for seeding it, but by the sounds of things either way it's coming so might as well get it start it early to enable putting in sps corals.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory model, create the problem and provide the solution... :D

Last edited:

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you avoid coralline? I don't like how it looks. Im new to saltwater.
Check the above pictures with pink/purple growth on tank walls. It's inevitable like algae stages in a new tank, except we can only clean and remove it, and cannot prevent it. Calcium amongst other things is dosed for coral growth which coraline algae also feeds on to grow. That's why its growth in a tank is recognized as an indicator that the tank is ready for calcifying coral input. Because if coraline algae can grow, then so will the corals.

I hope this helps, it's what I understand as someone new in the hobby.

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the above pictures with pink/purple growth on tank walls. It's inevitable like algae stages in a new tank, except we can only clean and remove it, and cannot prevent it. Calcium amongst other things is dosed for coral growth which coraline algae also feeds on to grow. That's why its growth in a tank is recognized as an indicator that the tank is ready for calcifying coral input. Because if coraline algae can grow, then so will the corals.

I hope this helps, it's what I understand as someone new in the hobby.
is it really necessary to introduce? And if you don’t introduce it, is it really inevitable?

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it really necessary to introduce? And if you don’t introduce it, is it really inevitable?
Check my previous post, but in general its ideal it starts as early as possible so corals an be added, that's why it can be seeded, but if not, it will eventually grow on its it's own.
Yes, I agree that's the intent and reason for seeding it, but by the sounds of things either way it's coming so might as well get it start it early to enable putting in sps corals.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory model, create the problem and provide the solution... :D

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think it's good to have. Shows your tank is establishing and parameters are becoming stable. Keep up with keeping it clean and you'll be good to go!

My bottle is on the way and Ill be using it right away :D
My experience has been that it’s only a problem if you don’t manage it when you clean the glass. Scraping off new unwanted growth weekly keeps the coralline under control.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline is easier to manage on glass vs acrylic tanks, that's for sure.

Friend of mine used to have a 30 standard he water changed with well water and coraline grew 1/4 thick. Something in that country well water I guess.

I could live without it, but coraline has one massive benefit. It eventually coats rocks and available surfaces and prevents nuisance algae from growing there. Some established tanks are totally encrusted with the stuff making it darn near impossible for baddies to grab hold.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was planning to get, but based on this thread, should I really instigate coraline growth?

I think is more like a pun most of the replies, for me is like a good problem to have, only concern could be on acrylic tanks, coralline is a good indicator of stable parameters and a mature tank, my 2 months old RSR 250 is growing coralline like crazy because I seeded it with the stuff I took from my cube.

You will have coralline no matter what, if you seed it you will have it sooner if you don't seed it it will arrive on it's own, like snails shells, coral plugs, live rock, live sand etc. For me is not a problem, I prefer to scrape coralline from my glass every month than the green film algae every other day, that I am battling right now.
Cheers

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reccommendations to a new reefer who's just started a tank and is/was considering seeding coraline algae?
I never used the stuff in bottles, I just introduced my tank with a small chunk of live rock and snails/crabs and frag plugs with it. Give it time and it’ll grow if your parameters are well! Good luck.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90g mixed reef. Now 4 yrs old. Only coralline is a little on glass. Couple of rocks.
my feeling is just like any macro algae it competes for minerals and nutrients with corals so I don’t miss it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back