Coralline Seeding- Is it ever too soon?

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through a bunch of posts on seeding tanks with coralline and the method seems very straight forward. My question is more so related to timing- my tank has been cycled for over two months, 6 fish + clean up crew + a ton of happy copepods everywhere. That said I'm still in the ugly stage with diatoms, although over the past few weeks is seems to be slowing down some, and I'm now starting to see some GHA trying to get a foot hold on the sand.
Note- there is no live rock in the tank it was started with dry rock and live sand. I would use a seeding product like purple grow.

Is it too soon for me to try seeding the tank with coralline?

Should I wait for the uglies to go away?

Right now running my Red Sea 90 lights at 50% blue 20% white- would I need to make any adjustments here?

I figure if I can get coralline to start growing it could be a good indicator of tank readiness for the first soft corals.

Thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you don't mind wasting your money......

I've heard of people pouring bottles of that stuff in their tanks without any coraline. It will only grow in perfect water conditions. And when the water conditions are perfect, it will grow on its own. Most people only start to see it somewhere around the 1 year mark.

Marketing and impatience are working against you.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through a bunch of posts on seeding tanks with coralline and the method seems very straight forward. My question is more so related to timing- my tank has been cycled for over two months, 6 fish + clean up crew + a ton of happy copepods everywhere. That said I'm still in the ugly stage with diatoms, although over the past few weeks is seems to be slowing down some, and I'm now starting to see some GHA trying to get a foot hold on the sand.
Note- there is no live rock in the tank it was started with dry rock and live sand. I would use a seeding product like purple grow.

Is it too soon for me to try seeding the tank with coralline?

Should I wait for the uglies to go away?

Right now running my Red Sea 90 lights at 50% blue 20% white- would I need to make any adjustments here?

I figure if I can get coralline to start growing it could be a good indicator of tank readiness for the first soft corals.

Thanks!
I seeded my tank with two bottles of ARC coralline and shavings from frag plugs. I also did it as soon as I showed 0 ammonia. Coralline takes time, I wish it didn't, but it absolutely does.

Coralline is also an indicator for stony corals, not soft. Soft can be thrown in early and easily, and act as a nitrate and phosphate sink. Just have to be careful not to bottom out your nutrients.

Since you have no corals, and algae is already starting to rear it's ugly head, I would cut white light to 5%, your eyes may not be able to tell the difference between that and 20%. or shorten your photoperiod.

Ideally, coralline seeds before the uglies, as most green algae can't take a foothold on living Coralline

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get coralline in asap especially with dry rock. I don't know what purple grow is, but a "chip" from a friend or something like the plates (and critters) from IPSF would be my choice :)

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go to the LFS and find a few snails with coralline on their shells (in my case Trochus snails). That's what I did and now I'm starting to see coraline growth on my powerheads.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year or two, you will be looking to get rid of coraline. It is a pain to scrape off the glass in most cases. But, no effort is needed, you will get it eventually.

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure this will get the job done!

001CE4C5-2101-448B-BC92-FD9891332A7A.jpeg

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to talk to @Paul B about proper hammer care, feeding and whatnot, but the seed stock looks good :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back