Corals at Dr. Reef--quarantine

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I noticed Dr. Reef has quite a few quarantined corals recently. Have many purchased? Outcomes or thoughts? I purchased several fish from Dr. Reef and have been happy with the quality/service, especially this past year.

Thanks much for reviewing and thoughts.

TailspotBlenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently ordered some corals because I had excellent results with their fish, snails, shrimp and urchin. All very healthy except one fish which died one day after the guarantee and they still replaced it.

I ordered some corals and they were all healthy but 3 of 4 did not look at all like the photos on their website. One of them was a totally different type of mushroom - I ordered a blue/green ricordea and they sent an orange/green rhodactis. I posted pics in the mushroom forum and two people confirmed it was not a ricordea. I also ordered a favia and zoa which came with different colors. I know pictures can be misleading depending on lighting but they really looked like different colors, not just a faded version of the same. On the plus side, I ordered a 5 polyp duncan and they sent me an extra one with one polyp, I think because a few of the polys on the larger one were small.

After I emailed them they did send me replacements for the 3 wrong ones. They didn’t offer much explanation other than there must have been a packing error. The ricordea they sent this time is definitely a ricordea and the color appears to be similar. The zoa and favia they sent are much closer to the website photo, although not exact, but I’m happy enough with them.

All in all, I would order from them again because they did send me replacements, but I may not get anything that’s an unusual color variation that costs more than others. I’ll order fish, inverts, and more common corals. It’s great not to have to worry about bringing fish disease into my tank from a coral. There was an aptasia on a frag but I know that’s pretty much unavoidable and I got it off before putting in the tank.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I wouldn't hesitate to order corals from them. Their level of customer service is exceptional. I just wish they had more selection.

OP
OP
hobie61

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently ordered some corals because I had excellent results with their fish, snails, shrimp and urchin. All very healthy except one fish which died one day after the guarantee and they still replaced it.

I ordered some corals and they were all healthy but 3 of 4 did not look at all like the photos on their website. One of them was a totally different type of mushroom - I ordered a blue/green ricordea and they sent an orange/green rhodactis. I posted pics in the mushroom forum and two people confirmed it was not a ricordea. I also ordered a favia and zoa which came with different colors. I know pictures can be misleading depending on lighting but they really looked like different colors, not just a faded version of the same. On the plus side, I ordered a 5 polyp duncan and they sent me an extra one with one polyp, I think because a few of the polys on the larger one were small.

After I emailed them they did send me replacements for the 3 wrong ones. They didn’t offer much explanation other than there must have been a packing error. The ricordea they sent this time is definitely a ricordea and the color appears to be similar. The zoa and favia they sent are much closer to the website photo, although not exact, but I’m happy enough with them.

All in all, I would order from them again because they did send me replacements, but I may not get anything that’s an unusual color variation that costs more than others. I’ll order fish, inverts, and more common corals. It’s great not to have to worry about bringing fish disease into my tank from a coral. There was an aptasia on a frag but I know that’s pretty much unavoidable and I got it off before putting in the tank.
I've ordered from Dr. Reef a few times. Often seems hit or miss on order survival. Some orders do great, others dont last very long. These are for fish. But, Dr. Reef is very willing to work with you if notified, which is much appreciated. Much better than most coral venders i have dealt with. Thanks again for the reviews.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from Dr. Reef a few times. Often seems hit or miss on order survival. Some orders do great, others dont last very long. These are for fish. But, Dr. Reef is very willing to work with you if notified, which is much appreciated. Much better than most coral venders i have dealt with. Thanks again for the reviews.
Please consider the odds of ANY fish surviving shipping. The bulk of this hobby needs an expectations reset.

TailspotBlenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please consider the odds of ANY fish surviving shipping. The bulk of this hobby needs an expectations reset.
Very true. I ordered 7 fish, shrimp, snails, corals and an urchin and all except 1 fish survived. That’s pretty good. Plus I’ve lost fish during quarantine over the years so I’m very happy with Dr. Reef. A few corals not quite what I expected but they replaced them no charge so I’m happy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back