Corals dying

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has previously had a lot of experience killing corals, recession from the base of sps whilst retaining colour and retracted lps, doesn't immediately scream low lights to me. Do try raising them, but as previously said, do one thing at once.

You said your parameters have been stable for about a month, how long has the tissue loss been going on? It can take a couple of weeks for sps to show the effects of parameter swings. Although I might have expected the lps to pick up by now.

Do you do water changes? Two large (50% ish) water changes a week apart followed by a couple of weeks focusing stability (testing alk and salinity every day) would probably tell you if it's a water parameter / contaminant issue rather than a light / flow issue.

OP
OP
I

islanderjunkie27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has previously had a lot of experience killing corals, recession from the base of sps whilst retaining colour and retracted lps, doesn't immediately scream low lights to me. Do try raising them, but as previously said, do one thing at once.

You said your parameters have been stable for about a month, how long has the tissue loss been going on? It can take a couple of weeks for sps to show the effects of parameter swings. Although I might have expected the lps to pick up by now.

Do you do water changes? Two large (50% ish) water changes a week apart followed by a couple of weeks focusing stability (testing alk and salinity every day) would probably tell you if it's a water parameter / contaminant issue rather than a light / flow issue.
I have been changing about 10% every 2 weeks. The sps has been doing pretty bad for about a month. The Lps just started going south within the last few days.

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been changing about 10% every 2 weeks. The sps has been doing pretty bad for about a month. The Lps just started going south within the last few days.

That's probably fine long term as a way to help keep the tank clean but it's unlikely to have a significant affect on any contaminants or depletions. It would be good to deduce whether it's a water issue early on, some big water changes followed by daily testing for a couple of weeks should rule that out. That's just how I would approach it though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Light -flow- salinity- alk/ca plays an important role here
Test and verify all are within norms as well as phosphate and nitrate

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from the posts, we can go everywhere from here. When you see that many corals faring badly, it is likely a systemic issue.

My recommandation is to send for an ICP test... don't wait for the result and do a big water change (if possible 50%). It can range from high nutrients, lack of trace elements to metal contamination.

You could discuss lighting and nutrient issues afterwards.

OP
OP
I

islanderjunkie27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from the posts, we can go everywhere from here. When you see that many corals faring badly, it is likely a systemic issue.

My recommandation is to send for an ICP test... don't wait for the result and do a big water change (if possible 50%). It can range from high nutrients, lack of trace elements to metal contamination.

You could discuss lighting and nutrient issues afterwards.
Thanx for all the advice. Its almost like drinking from a fire hose. I like the idea of an ICP test. I will get one of those straight away and do the water change.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like youve got dinos. Uv is the only thing that really works. Dinos will kill corals when they string over them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back