Corals for your glass!

  • Thread starter Thread starter DmitryB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,212
Reaction score
932
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen a handful of people actually attach a frag to the back of their tanks and it grows! I'm intrigued by an idea of attaching something encrusting and letting it grow on the back wall as much as it will. What kind of coral might be good for this? Any ideas?
 
I have green stylo all over my back walls. It went crazy in my tank and I have been cutting it off with a razor and selling the frags.. Take a look at my build thread.
 
I do gsp, but have heard others doing lepto, monti, zoa, chalice, cyphasrea
I was going through the SPS's. Cyphastrea is a low-light coral, so it may be too much in the upper half of the tank. (Rock covers the lower half.) Lepto, Monti and Chalice may work (although according to Tidal Gardens Chalices (I don't have any at this time) are kind of medium lighting creatures. I need to find a cheap frag and see what happens since this is an experiment. Would not want to lose an expensive coral if this didn't work out!
 
I have encrusting Monti on one tank, plating Monti on another tank, gsp on one, and leptastrea on one.
 
here check it out. stylo and star polyp



sps and star.gif
 
I've seen a handful of people actually attach a frag to the back of their tanks and it grows! I'm intrigued by an idea of attaching something encrusting and letting it grow on the back wall as much as it will. What kind of coral might be good for this? Any ideas?
Have always had the gsp growing on the back glass of my softy tanks. I love it when it flows like a wheat field in the wind.
Had a tank with monti caps growing up the back wall.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new