Corals got full on Ca

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a doser mishap and dumped all my BRS 2-part CaCl2 in the tank one day a few weeks ago. I don't how much was left, but probably significantly less than 1/2g. Tank is a 120+20g sump. Reading the forums here, I decided it probably wasn't an emergency. I stepped up water changes and waited for the CA to fall. My tests are as follows

May-05 750ppm
May-08 675ppm
May-13 570ppm
May-21 600ppm (today)

Until today, it appeared to be dropping at around 25ppm/day, and I expected it to be back at 350ppm today.

The first problem is that today's test came out the same as last week's.

The second problem is that 25ppm/day seems like a massive drop. The BRS calculator shows 25ppm/day as a 12floz dose. Prior to the doser accident, I was dosing 2floz/day (about 4ppm/day).

I'm using the Red Sea kit, which does say you can refill the dropper and keep going if you pass the 500 ppm mark.

Compounding factors:
* No3 and PO4 are high-ish (30ppm, 0.2ppm) because I did a trial run of dry food preparing for a vacation.
* Mg is also high because I miss-measured and overdosed that too. I have no clue what's going on with my Mg test kit, so I have no idea how high, but I probably added a 1/4c too much at most, where the Ca was probably a few cups at least.

Do the test kits just not work well at high levels? Or are there other processes going on in my tank to be aware of? (i.e. could high Ca get absorbed by the rocks or something and fall fast, but then plateau as some sync gets saturated.)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just a thought ,your new water in changes 5-600 cal?? skip a change or two and monitor as you have been .
stop dosing mag until sure of level ,continue to keep alk stable will deplete cal.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.4%
Back