Corals not extending - torches and goniopora - advice appreciated

alexjread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Ive had my tank set up about 9 months now, all the fish and most of the corals are doing great, all my levels are stable and normal.

Nitrates 8
Phosphates 0.1
Alk 8.4
Salinity between 1.025 and 1.026
Mag 1300
Calcium 400

My torch corals aren’t extending fully and goniopora aren’t extending at all pretty much, the torches have been in there a while aside from the blue in the middle and the gonis have been in there about a week.

I’m running reef factory flare bar as a light on 60% power (this was the advice of LFS but I’m happy to take other opinions), both sets of coral get moderate flow.

Dosing all for reef daily and feeding them once a week with reef roids and coral energy plus about 3 times a week too…

Apologies for the tank being dirty I need to clean it

Is there anything I’m doing wrong here? Any advice appreciated…

3264959F-97A9-4E1B-A757-3A12774EE6C0.jpeg 71868A70-CC66-42D7-BEF4-52E99B217B2C.jpeg

OP
OP
A

alexjread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates slightly low for LPS. Phosphate low and magnesium slightly low as well. Have you psr checked the tank? Pics seem dark. What is your flow set?
Hi, the nitrates are low because I did a big water change the other day I would have thought. What do you think I should aim to get the mag to? The lighting in the pic was just the standard tank lights on the white light setting not the reef factory lights, as I couldn’t get a decent pic with those on as was quite dark.

Flow I have two power heads on random and half way through the power band each.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the nitrates are low because I did a big water change the other day I would have thought. What do you think I should aim to get the mag to? The lighting in the pic was just the standard tank lights on the white light setting not the reef factory lights, as I couldn’t get a decent pic with those on as was quite dark.

Torches really seem to do better with mag over 1400.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What power heads? You want mag 1400 to 1450. You really need to check your par levels with your current lights. Euphyllia like 150 to 250.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back