Torch dying?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I hate making these super common posts but I just need to get some advice.

I have had this AQ Indo Gold torch in my tank since December and everyday it has amazed me with its growth and color. Suddenly, this morning, a head was closed and white mucous was around the head. I did some research and heard dipping might save the coral. So I dipped in Rx and this is the current state of the coral.

This uber sucks because I was literally discussing selling this coral to a local hobbyist and we were planning to make the exchange today. I do not know what to tell the guy or what to do. Should I ask him to wait a week or cancel the sale all together? What are your thoughts/advice?

Image of aftermath of dipping. I see good flesh but towards the bottom there appears to be a chunk taken out…?

Edit: I do have peppermints and emeralds in the tank that I have heard sometimes pick at torches

IMG_3832.jpeg

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I ask him to wait a week or cancel the sale all together? What are your thoughts/advice?
I can’t speak to the rest of your post as I’m not an expert on torches, however I will say that if the coral is unhappy or stressed, or both, it’s probably not a good time to put it through more unbalance. If the other hobbyist has waited thing long to have that torch, they can wait a few more weeks. Empty torch skeletons aren’t nearly as nice to look at :)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic. Is that algae in the flesh band or missing flesh? If its missing I'd guess damage. Other than it looking a little unhappy I would have let it be honestly. But that part does scare me. I would potentially cancel the sale with the info of "looks like it may have sustained an injury I'm going to see if it heals up". I'd be bummed but happy you didnt want to sell me something that may be compromised. Let the buyer decide from there.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly recently experienced virtually the same thing with my master torch! The lesion is even similar in shape and size and perilously close to the edge of the polyp. Check out my thread, see what you think. I think mine has arrested. You can see the timeline in the thread. I attributed it to a flow issue, but it never really seemed likely, just the most likely of the potentials I've considered/have been proposed. I adjusted the flow and have been watching closely. I do have an emerald crab but I really don't think that's what happened to mine or yours, but as you asked for, I've also been hoping we get someone who recognizes exactly what we are dealing with here (if that's even possible). In my case I think maybe another possibility is that it was the result of a defect in the splitting process, but again, don't have experience with that, so it's pure speculation.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic. Is that algae in the flesh band or missing flesh? If its missing I'd guess damage. Other than it looking a little unhappy I would have let it be honestly. But that part does scare me. I would potentially cancel the sale with the info of "looks like it may have sustained an injury I'm going to see if it heals up". I'd be bummed but happy you didnt want to sell me something that may be compromised. Let the buyer decide from there.
Agreed, upon review, need a better pic, it looks like the injured area may have happened some time ago, when mine was happening it was primarily very bright white and, in places, sort of peeling (check out the thread for photos of stages).

Edit: able to zoom, and maybe it's a mix of recent and past recession, can you shoot it with white light?

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally not want to sell any Coral that I know might be compromised. Wait a few days and see what happens. It’s always possible that it was something minor and it’ll bounce right back.
Yeah I told the guy I cannot sell this coral today and will be a few weeks until it’s available in the best case scenario. Selling this coral would never sit well with me until I see that it is in great shape once again. He was actually quite happy i told him and totally understands the situation which is awesome.

Although it was actually looking very good before I dipped it aside from the head that was closed.

Here she is currently:
image.jpg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I told the guy I cannot sell this coral today and will be a few weeks until it’s available in the best case scenario. Selling this coral would never sit well with me until I see that it is in great shape once again. He was actually quite happy i told him and totally understands the situation which is awesome.

Although it was actually looking very good before I dipped it aside from the head that was closed.

Here she is currently:
image.jpg
Dips are harsh and a lot of corals look awful for a day or two post dipping. Hopefully she fully recovers for you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back