Torch recession or splitting or maybe just growth?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Have had this guy a week. Awesome and huge in the light. I’ll post it later. This shot is from underneath, it’s mounted almost horizontal. I don’t know if it was like this when I got it TBH, most probably. Thinking it could have been the way it was situated in the shop frag tank. Also wondering if it’s just normal to fade past a certain distance from the head as it grows? Main concern is how white it looks, that’s really it. Mostly want to know if it would concern anybody and if there is anything I should do proactively. My gut is get my dang hands out of the tank and watch and wait!

IMG_5027.jpeg

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "white" is healthy flesh. You want to see flesh as far down the skeleton/stem as possible.
Well, that’s what I thought when I put it in, but now I see that wavy brown line and thought the bright white was skeleton. Probably just being neurotic.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months later and the coral has been opening and growing beautifully. It is splitting. That said I noticed a couple concerning things today. It is still opening great, I had it retract a bit for the photo.

First thing is a track of bright white on its underside flesh that almost makes it to the head but not quite. My best guess is a flow injury, as I was experimenting with higher flow over the past few days. That said it seems a strange and odd injury for flow when there is no other apparent damage at all. I’ve turned flow way down for now. Thoughts?

The other issue is less concerning but curious. A head not on the stalk with the apparent injury has a bubble in its flesh. Never seen that before either.

Attachments

• IMG_6048.jpeg
    IMG_6048.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6051.jpeg
    IMG_6051.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6066.jpeg
    IMG_6066.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 49

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct
Hi!

Have had this guy a week. Awesome and huge in the light. I’ll post it later. This shot is from underneath, it’s mounted almost horizontal. I don’t know if it was like this when I got it TBH, most probably. Thinking it could have been the way it was situated in the shop frag tank. Also wondering if it’s just normal to fade past a certain distance from the head as it grows? Main concern is how white it looks, that’s really it. Mostly want to know if it would concern anybody and if there is anything I should do proactively. My gut is get my dang hands out of the tank and watch and wait!

IMG_5027.jpeg

Screenshot_20240319_144719_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures tell me it's healthy except that one pic with the jagged white. That looks like an injury.
I think so too. I did try the higher Flow recently. It just really shocks me it could have done that!!! I dropped it hard. I hope it lives. Ugh

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so too. I did try the higher Flow recently. It just really shocks me it could have done that!!! I dropped it hard. I hope it lives. Ugh
It should live. Worse Case... That 1 head dies. I don't think that will be the case.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should live. Worse Case... That 1 head dies. I don't think that will be the case
Really hope so.. is a master torch, and my favorite coral. Getting the flow just right has been very tricky. Really surprised it would have done this, but that's my leading theory. Rolling with that my plan is just to go very low with it and leave it be, no need to dip and stress. Thanks for your help

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it will heal or if it will just continue new growth from the damaged area.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d never guess it’s just a few MM away from death. For posterity, in case I am wrong about the cause and we are in its last days.

Attachments

• IMG_6083.jpeg
    IMG_6083.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?
What? I don't understand, that is healthy.
It's not dying.
The flesh wound (or necrosis) is within a few MM of the head. If it doesn't stop it'll be a partial goner in short order.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flesh wound (or necrosis) is within a few MM of the head. If it doesn't stop it'll be a partial goner in short order.
Pretty strong statement about a healthy looking coral... And wound does not equal "necrosis".

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty strong statement about a healthy looking coral... And wound does not equal "necrosis".

How is it a “strong statement?” Torches frequently “look” healthy up until they begin rapid decline. This one has a large strip that appears to be recently heavily damaged or dead that is running down almost the entire fleshband and is currently just shy of the polyp head. I don’t know for sure what caused (or is causing…) it or if it stopped spreading. If it spreads a few MM or so more it will die and it’s already probably 40 MM long. Flow wound is my leading theory, but it seems odd for that, but I cut it back, so maybe that will save it or maybe not. Maybe it’s being attacked by something, maybe something is eating it, maybe it is spreading necrotic tissue, maybe there is another cause I’m totally overlooking, in which case it’ll bite it soon.

You are correct wounds don’t equal necrosis, but where did you hear that anyway? I never said that. Regardless, the flesh in the impacted area of this coral most certainly is (or was, much has already sloughed off) necrotic.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how it looks one week later with a better angle. Still consistent with a flow injury? I’m still guessing/hoping but I really can’t figure out how it happened…. Still looks kind of bad to me, but on second thought maybe it’s healing.

IMG_6122.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how it looks one week later with a better angle. Still consistent with a flow injury? I’m still guessing/hoping but I really can’t figure out how it happened…. Still looks kind of bad to me, but on second thought maybe it’s healing.

IMG_6122.jpeg
Doesn't look like it's getting any worse. That's a good thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back