Torch recession or splitting or maybe just growth?

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progressing over three weeks, most recent on left.

Attachments

• BD9CB70A-F122-479A-8C58-C0D0D8B82C35.jpeg
    BD9CB70A-F122-479A-8C58-C0D0D8B82C35.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 50

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flesh wound (or necrosis) is within a few MM of the head. If it doesn't stop it'll be a partial goner in short order.
So a flesh wound is definitely, or damage to the flesh is not necrosis…. Which my definition is “the death of most or all of the cells in an organ or tissue”….. the damaged tissue is a very small area. You are the one who said this first and that is why @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimals mentioned it.

Necrosis (RTN and STN) is a SPS thing.

When euphyllia split the tissue does stretch and move and sometimes it may recede a bit but what ever happened to that torch looks like something took a chunk out of it.

FYI - receding tissue does not mean death.

I have had euphyllia make a full recovery. Though it is slow.

Did you touch the tissue when you moved it?

Watch out for brown jelly and flatworms that’s what kills euphyllia

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a flesh wound is definitely, or damage to the flesh is not necrosis…. Which my definition is “the death of most or all of the cells in an organ or tissue”….. the damaged tissue is a very small area. You are the one who said this first and that is why @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimals mentioned it.

Necrosis (RTN and STN) is a SPS thing.

When euphyllia split the tissue does stretch and move and sometimes it may recede a bit but what ever happened to that torch looks like something took a chunk out of it.

FYI - receding tissue does not mean death.

I have had euphyllia make a full recovery. Though it is slow.

Did you touch the tissue when you moved it?

Watch out for brown jelly and flatworms that’s what kills euphyllia
Tissue died where it shouldn’t have, likely from trauma. This is the very definition of a necrotic injury. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimals said that a wound doesn’t equal necrosis. I never said that all wounds are necrotic, they came up with that. I correctly said that this wound was necrotic, as the tissue in the wounded area was dying.

I don’t believe it was touched. Agree it seems like an injury but I really don’t know how it happened!

Attachments

• IMG_6185.png
    IMG_6185.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6184.png
    IMG_6184.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6183.png
    IMG_6183.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 25

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tissue died where it shouldn’t have, likely from trauma. This is the very definition of a necrotic injury. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimals said that a wound doesn’t equal necrosis. I never said that all wounds are necrotic, they came up with that. I correctly said that this wound was necrotic, as the tissue in the wounded area was dying.

I don’t believe it was touched. Agree it seems like an injury but I really don’t know how it happened!
Pretty sure that tissue didn’t die - but whatever. It looks like it was there and then gone. And you touched it and moved the torch.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No… I didn’t touch it or move it.
I mean you can clearly see the white dying tissue layer in the early photos. In any event, it may have been a flow injury and the tissue under the damaged area necrotized rather than healed. That’s my best guess.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, hoping this can get some fresh views, and maybe get @MERKEY to take a look for me. I had to move it because the torches were getting too much in each other's spaces and I was a little concerned my 21 tails was irritating this one (I saw the heads would stick together and one head of this torch was only like 4/5s expanded). I don't think the peeling flesh has to do with being stung by the 21 tails, but maybe?

In any event, pic one shows the original damaged area that has healed. Now though the damage is occurring all over the other polyp in a similar fashion. It goes white and peels. It is very close to the edge of the polyp on one side in particular. I don't see any pests. I have 4 other torches and 10 other euphyllia and they all have thick and healthy flesh bands.

So I no longer think it's flow related.

It could be stings? A unknown pest? Weird splitting behavior? or something else I'm missing. Very bizarre.
IMG_6342.jpg

IMG_6343.jpg

1712925573464.png

1712925590818.png

1712925607634.png

1712925637300.png

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After this long and it continuing to do the same thing but in different areas, I would take the frag plug odd and check the inside of the skeleton.

This hobby is dirty and a lot of times unfortunately when people frag colonies they leave behind some bacteria and it gets into the skeletons.

This death is extremely slow and can take years honestly to kill a whole colony.

The picture below shows what I'm talking about. The discoloration inside the skeleton is bacteria and causing death from the inside. This will grow and cover the whole skeleton inside.

Colonies slowly just lose flesh exactly like yours is doing and then die.

I'm not 100% sure that's what is going on with yours but I'd definitely check.

20221024_150804.jpg

20230123_143116.jpg
20230123_143128.jpg

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this long and it continuing to do the same thing but in different areas, I would take the frag plug odd and check the inside of the skeleton.

This hobby is dirty and a lot of times unfortunately when people frag colonies they leave behind some bacteria and it gets into the skeletons.

This death is extremely slow and can take years honestly to kill a whole colony.

The picture below shows what I'm talking about. The discoloration inside the skeleton is bacteria and causing death from the inside. This will grow and cover the whole skeleton inside.

Colonies slowly just lose flesh exactly like yours is doing and then die.

I'm not 100% sure that's what is going on with yours but I'd definitely check.

20221024_150804.jpg

20230123_143116.jpg
20230123_143128.jpg
Thanks so much for your input man... Been really trying to figure this one out. It's very odd that it started just the same on the other side but seems to have stopped, but I guess it might restart suddenly and just take the whole thing out.

Bacteria inside the skeleton..., that is something I didn't know about and really stinks as I image that condition is darn near impossible to treat effectively. Is there anything that can be done if that's the case?

I will certainly check the skeleton if knowing would change the approach to saving it (or if that means I need to pull it to save my others?!)? If not I'd just as soon stay the course and not mess with it more.

vcollins9850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your input man... Been really trying to figure this one out. It's very odd that it started just the same on the other side but seems to have stopped, but I guess it might restart suddenly and just take the whole thing out.

Bacteria inside the skeleton..., that is something I didn't know about and really stinks as I image that condition is darn near impossible to treat effectively. Is there anything that can be done if that's the case?

I will certainly check the skeleton if knowing would change the approach to saving it (or if that means I need to pull it to save my others?!)? If not I'd just as soon stay the course and not mess with it more.
You have peppermint shrimp? I had some to clean up aptasia a few months ago. and once the aptasia were gone they started picking on a torch around the base of the flesh band and the edge of some tentacles. Once I got them out the torch recovered. Never saw them actively picking during the day but damage was obvious

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm not saying it's 100% happening but it's good to rule it out.

Unfortunately large and frequent baths of the KFC dip help long term but you are correct, there is not much to do.

Hopefully your skeleton base is white ;)

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have peppermint shrimp? I had some to clean up aptasia a few months ago. and once the aptasia were gone they started picking on a torch around the base of the flesh band and the edge of some tentacles. Once I got them out the torch recovered. Never saw them actively picking during the day but damage was obvious
I do not! But thanks for the heads up. I’m wondering (hoping, even if not likely, because the other options are not appealing lol) if my 21 tails torch touching may have made the situation worse very slowly. I noticed yesterday it was somewhat retracted and when I watched every time a 21 tail tip touched a master tip they stuck together pretty firmly and the master tentacle recoiled when they finally got pulled apart. So weird.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying it's 100% happening but it's good to rule it out.

Unfortunately large and frequent baths of the KFC dip help long term but you are correct, there is not much to do.

Hopefully your skeleton base is white ;)
I think it's white! Pics and some new pics under better light of the issue. Any other ideas or just leave it be and accept my fate? I could order some dip if you think the potential rewards outweigh the risk in this case.

1712939898481.png

1712939927552.png

1712939975145.png

1712940043865.png

1712940055999.png

1712940084702.png

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back