Corals releasing stringy things after feeding!!!!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed my corals reef roids for the first time. I too some of my tank water in a cup and pour a table spoon of reef roids in to it. I mixed it up and got a turkey baster and filled it up. I sprayed my corals with the reef roids and a minute later the corals are releasing this stringy slime. What is going on. Is this a problem. The only corals that did that were my hammers and frogspawn.

IMG_1389.jpeg IMG_1388.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine, this usually happens when you don’t turn off your flow and your corals don’t get a good grasp on the food.
Also hammers and frogspawn tend to like mysis shrimp more, just some friendly advice
Ok I will get some mysis shrimp. What likes to eat reef roids? And if I do turn the flow off they release a stingy slime??

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will get some mysis shrimp. What likes to eat reef roids? And if I do turn the flow off they release a stingy slime??
So to start, the corals are not releasing the slime. It’s just a mix of reef roids and water.
I would recommend turning off flow for 5-10 minutes if you feed reef roids.
Reef roids are made for smaller mouthed corals to eat. Such as gonis,alves,zoas(sometimes),sps (sometimes),toadstools etc. those are just some examples I can think of off the top of my head

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to start, the corals are not releasing the slime. It’s just a mix of reef roids and water.
I would recommend turning off flow for 5-10 minutes if you feed reef roids.
Reef roids are made for smaller mouthed corals to eat. Such as gonis,alves,zoas(sometimes),sps (sometimes),toadstools etc. those are just some examples I can think of off the top of my head
Ok good to know. That was my first time feeding reef roids. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are feeder tentacles and what is the "emergency "
I was just told that it was the mix of reef roids and water that make the string stuff, I was worried because I never saw my corals do that. But it turned out it was not the corals.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just told that it was the mix of reef roids and water that make the string stuff, I was worried because I never saw my corals do that. But it turned out it was not the corals.
Fwiw, not every question needs the emergency tag

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok, coral food ain't gonna kill your corals but lots of other things can and will like your phosphate level after using reef roids....good luck
Hopefully phosphate goes up because it was zero. Now adding reef roids to the water once a week can that make the phosphates go up a lot? How can I keep phosphate balanced? I know I can test to make sure they are good and what should they be at?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, just monitor your phos, test twice a week, once a week reef roids shouldnt raise it too fast, and i like my phos to be from .05 to .1

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully phosphate goes up because it was zero. Now adding reef roids to the water once a week can that make the phosphates go up a lot? How can I keep phosphate balanced? I know I can test to make sure they are good and what should they be at?
Once a week is fine and should help your phosphate number. Feeding pellet food raises phosphate too. New tanks have unstable parameters as you are finding out which is why it's better to add coral very sparingly the first 4 or 5 months because you will probably lose most of them as a new reefer.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week is fine and should help your phosphate number. Feeding pellet food raises phosphate too. New tanks have unstable parameters as you are finding out which is why it's better to add coral very sparingly the first 4 or 5 months because you will probably lose most of them as a new reefer.
Every parameter has been good. Only thing was phosphate. I am also dosing calcium alk and mag.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't be dosing any of those with a new tank and limited corals. Just weekly water changes.
I test 2 times a week. I have to dose some of it every once and awhile. I have not done a water change because nitrate was 6.0 and phosphate was 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test 2 times a week. I have to dose some of it every once and awhile. I have not done a water change because nitrate was 6.0 and phosphate was 0
Not on a new tank with a couple corals there is negligible consumption. Weekly water changes are mandatory for new tanks or all kinds of issues will develop. Dose neophos and neonitro as needed. That's what I did.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back