Corals Stressing wen doing tank Maintenance

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys every week a do my weekly water change of 10% I blow of my rocks and my corals slowly Retract and some of them start to slime up is this normal?…after completing water change everything gos back to normal by the next day

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's their normal reaction to stuff they don't like.
Why are you changing water every week and blowing off rocks? Most people who do water changes do it every 2 weeks or more.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 5 gallon water change on my 200 gallon SPS dominate tank every Sunday. I also take a turkey baster and blow off my rocks to suspend any detritus this way the skimmer can remove unwanted gunk. Sometimes my SPS will react to my water change, sometimes they don't.
In the end, everything is happy and thriving.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water change is making your corals unhappy . you may want to try extending the water changes out and try moving your pumps around the tank or use a spare one and that flow will keep things in the water column maybe its time for more flow in ur tank .

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 5 gallon water change on my 200 gallon SPS dominate tank every Sunday. I also take a turkey baster and blow off my rocks to suspend any detritus this way the skimmer can remove unwanted gunk. Sometimes my SPS will react to my water change, sometimes they don't.
In the end, everything is happy and thriving.
Wow only 5 gallons? U don’t clean sand bed? I clean sand bed every week my tank is 65Gallons I change out 10 gallons every week

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's their normal reaction to stuff they don't like.
Why are you changing water every week and blowing off rocks? Most people who do water changes do it every 2 weeks or more.
I was told blowing off rocks was a good thing…I am have gha problem but I always do water changes weekly and clean sand bed every week…my tank is 65 gallons tank. All ready has very low Nutrients…been Debating on doing water changes or not because I just started doseing all for reef and I have low po4 and nitrates

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told blowing off rocks was a good thing…I am have gha problem but I always do water changes weekly and clean sand bed every week…my tank is 65 gallons tank. All ready has very low Nutrients…been Debating on doing water changes or not because I just started doseing all for reef and I have low po4 and nitrates
if your fighting low nutrients it doesn't make sense to do weekly water changes the tank is too clean and needs a chance to become a. biome. you will need to manually remove the gha . if u can take out the rock with the GHA drop it in a. bucket with RO water it will kill off the GHA and u can put the rock back in good luck

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys every week a do my weekly water change of 10% I blow of my rocks and my corals slowly Retract and some of them start to slime up is this normal?…after completing water change everything gos back to normal by the next day
Normal.... I do 2-2.5 %water changes every 3-4 days now, I find it to be less of the situation you describe as a result. Some will say too much work but I actually find it to be less over the years, less disruption of the system on the whole as well, the corals don't get so ticked off with me like they used to lol...
FWIW, I don't clean my sand bed weekly. I do a light stir in spots here or there every second water change....

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow only 5 gallons? U don’t clean sand bed? I clean sand bed every week my tank is 65Gallons I change out 10 gallons every week
Less sand bed cleaning. 10 gallons on a 65 is too much IMO weekly. 10% is not 10 gallons, perhaps a mistype on original post. 5% does well enough for most of us that do changes....IMO

Last edited:

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went bare bottom on this build, doesn't look natural to me but I can live with it.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The way I got around this is automatic water changes, that way the water chemistry is minimally impacted, as for blowing off the rocks this will happen every time you do this no matter what

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus=Coral food

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water change is making your corals unhappy . you may want to try extending the water changes out and try moving your pumps around the tank or use a spare one and that flow will keep things in the water column maybe its time for more flow in ur tank .
In this case, it is not the WC itself that is making the corals unhappy, it's the blowing of sand and rock etc.

Same thing happens if you use a magnetic scraper too aggressively.
if your fighting low nutrients it doesn't make sense to do weekly water changes the tank is too clean and needs a chance to become a. biome. you will need to manually remove the gha . if u can take out the rock with the GHA drop it in a. bucket with RO water it will kill off the GHA and u can put the rock back in good luck
I would not recommend this because you will be killing all the beneficial bacteria on that rock, and depending on the size of the rock, it could lead to an ammonia spike.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back