Corals That Fluoresce Under Blues — Let’s See Them Under Whites

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from EcoTech Radions to an ATI SunPower that uses three ATI Coral Plus bulbs and three ATI Blue Plus bulbs. It has taken a little time to get used to because I no longer see the fluorescence from some of my corals that tend to look best under deep blues, such as TGC Cherry Bomb, JF Homewrecker, JF Jolt, TSA Rainbow Fusion, and a handful of others. However, I love the benefits that T5s provide, such as spectrum blending, spread, and lack of hotspots.

I’d love to see what your corals look like under whites—the ones that tend to stand out under blues and typically demand exorbitant prices.

I sometimes think that it’s no wonder the OG hobbyists laugh at the prices that we sometimes pay for small frags—many of the high-prices frags seem to look good under deep blues whereas they may look dull under whiter T5s and MHs.

I don’t want to get a holy war started about what light technology is best. I’m simply curious to see what some of your stunning-under-blue corals look like under whiter lights because this is the first time I’ve used T5s, and, while I miss the fluorescence at night, I have begun to prefer the daylight look.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same - was using 3 AI 52’s. Now have an ATI SunPower. With a Reef Brite LumeLite pro plus add on. Will be interesting to see what pics people post up.
How do you like the LumiLite?

I’ve been thinking about adding two actinic XHOs so that I can have them on only in the evenings for the fluorescence again. Also, when I sell frags, I like to be able to provide buyers with measurement values of my parameters as well as PAR values, and I like to show corals under different color temperatures so they can make better decisions about which corals they want.

For as beautiful as many corals are under blues, I’m surprised that my preference has changed to enjoying warmer color temperatures.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my Vivids Confetti under AB+ Radions with B+ and C+ T-5's
Vivids Confetti-2.jpg

and under blues:
Vivids Confetti.jpg

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daylight look is great, during the day. Ever consider adding 1 or 2 ReefBright XHO's with dimmer for the dusk/dawn look? Not mine but an example. Not trying to derail I'm also interested in the HW under whites.
ATIReefbrite.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would we have those when you can keep corals that are actually more colorful in your tank and not get into the high-price-for-a-nub game? I would rather spend that money on a Deepwater like RMF Joker or Red Gecko which are way more beautiful anyway... but it takes skill to grow and color these beyond just dropping a light on a tank.

My guess is that now that you have seen what you have seen, then your vision will start to grow and you will be into deepwaters soon too. When you do, check out RMF Red Gecko and Joker as well as nearly anything that Adam sells.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daylight look is great, during the day. Ever consider adding 1 or 2 ReefBright XHO's with dimmer for the dusk/dawn look? Not mine but an example. Not trying to derail I'm also interested in the HW under whites.
ATIReefbrite.jpg
Oh, I’m absolutely considering it for only evening viewing. That’s the main reason that I am looking for photos of highly-fluorescent corals—I want to see what they look like under lighting other than the super-blue LEDs.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would we have those when you can keep corals that are actually more colorful in your tank and not get into the high-price-for-a-nub game? I would rather spend that money on a Deepwater like RMF Joker or Red Gecko which are way more beautiful anyway... but it takes skill to grow and color these beyond just dropping a light on a tank.
Well, I planned to keep those corals, which I have, under Radions. However, I sold my Radions and bought a SunPower. So, it would be great to be able to see what those corals look like under T5s. If I don't care for them, then I will offload them in favor of corals that are much nicer under T5s.

It seems that every show and swap that I go to, there are nothing but corals that look great under LEDs. I never see corals under T5s at shows, and I understand why.

My guess is that now that you have seen what you have seen, then your vision will start to grow and you will be into deepwaters soon too. When you do, check out RMF Red Gecko and Joker as well as nearly anything that Adam sells.
It's funny that you say that. I made a huge list of corals that I want from Adam. There are so many gorgeous corals on his site.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few more weeks, you will see all that you need to see. If you still want to trick-light them, then get a XHO Reefbrite and look at them at night. Of all of my higher-end SPS friend, only one or two of them use LED, but some like the black-light look and put some strips on with their MH or T5s. The few dudes who use LEDs use them at 100% on a channels and do not even view them in RB only.

It pretty much goes like this... trick light people love shows, Vivid, WWC, etc. The non-trick-light folks tend to want stuff from BC, RMF (when they were humming along) and other hobbyists (trades and sales). Older school RR stuff is in the middle. This is not absolute, but you get it... Shows are mostly for front runner and noobies... while there are lots of experienced folks at shows and conventions, they are not buying coral based on how they look under RB diodes only.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are basically asking is for people who can truly see a date/person through all of the instagram/facebook filters, softening and all of that to post photos of the real-life-look of their date without all of that. They do not pick those people in the first place. :)

Are you old enough to remember when people handed out wallet photos in High School and also Glamor Shots? Surely one of your friends wanted to set you up with somebody... and if they handed you a Glamor Shot of the person and some people though that they were really attractive... but the smart folks knew that a Glamor Shot was pure fantasy. Corals that only look good under blue light are the Glamor Shots of reefing... which is why many stay away from them, and also why people tend to move away as they get more experience.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few more weeks, you will see all that you need to see. If you still want to trick-light them, then get a XHO Reefbrite and look at them at night. Of all of my higher-end SPS friend, only one or two of them use LED, but some like the black-light look and put some strips on with their MH or T5s. The few dudes who use LEDs use them at 100% on a channels and do not even view them in RB only.

It pretty much goes like this... trick light people love shows, Vivid, WWC, etc. The non-trick-light folks tend to want stuff from BC, RMF (when they were humming along) and other hobbyists (trades and sales). Older school RR stuff is in the middle. This is not absolute, but you get it... Shows are mostly for front runner and noobies... while there are lots of experienced folks at shows and conventions, they are not buying coral based on how they look under RB diodes only.
After browsing Battlecorals, it's apparent that I want his entire collection. I used to be a blue-light lover, but, after replacing my Radions with a SunPower, I have fallen in love with white-light corals. If I could have Adam's entire collection, even his Boso's Dingleberry Defuego, then I would. :cool:

Are you old enough to remember when people handed out wallet photos in High School and also Glamor Shots? Surely one of your friends wanted to set you up with somebody... and if they handed you a Glamor Shot of the person and some people though that they were really attractive... but the smart folks knew that a Glamor Shot was pure fantasy. Corals that only look good under blue light are the Glamor Shots of reefing... which is why many stay away from them, and also why people tend to move away as they get more experience.
I'll be 35 in May, so I recall a little of that. :)

Mrmiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my sunpower but want some shimmer and pop from led. Interested to hear what people suppliment their ATI fixtures with and if they like it.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a huge fan of t5's and used a large ati fixture on my display. I added a frag tank and put another t5 fixture over that. I was always really happy with my corals and felt things were great. I decided to add another frag tank to my system and this time I wanted to try out led. After a couple months the corals I had under t5 and moved to led started to look better than I have ever seen. Not just better as the light was shining on them but better over all as I could now take that same coral in set it under t5 and the coral would still look amazing. Something about the led's change the coral.

I took a couple videos showing a pc rainbow colony I had under led and comparing it to the one under t5 and its a dramatic difference. I showed it to a couple friends including Farmerty and it convinced him to try radions on his frag tank. He has used them for a while now and is considering changing his display tank t5 to led now. It is no "trick light". Even some of the ones Jda mentioned like BC has mentioned he gets certain colors under led that he doesn't with other lighting.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my sunpower but want some shimmer and pop from led. Interested to hear what people suppliment their ATI fixtures with and if they like it.
I see a lot of people using Reef Brite LumiLites and XHOs because they mount directly to the SunPower without modifying the SunPower with extra holes for bolts. I’ve also seen people use Orphek bars, SB Reef Lights, and Reef Breeders LumenBars.

Mrmiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people using Reef Brite LumiLites and XHOs because they mount directly to the SunPower without modifying the SunPower with extra holes for bolts. I’ve also seen people use Orphek bars, SB Reef Lights, and Reef Breeders LumenBars.
Trying to work out which one is the best fit. I actually want shimmer most (but not disco ball). I get good color with my bulb combo.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bubba are you running straight Radions only or Radion T5 combo?

Nick,
Here's a couple of the tenuis you ask about......I have these because they look good to me under either type of lights.

47284182362_7687944a40_c.jpg

45778964711_6178f5dec8_c.jpg

If I were add some blue leds I can make the colors pop a bit more to my eyes.......I'd be happy with that type of configuration.

If I were to add too much blue and make the tank look darker and more of a windex look then a tenuis like this wouldn't even get a second glance whereas under a whiter looking tank it's a stand out with it's oregon blue color.

49559876268_1fe0d21fb0_c.jpg

Adding some LEDs for pop on coralites or tips will help.........too much and you kill how much blue. purple, deep red and some pink corals will pop visually to your eyes. Heavier blue will make orange, green, and yellows look visually better.

You have to consider the trade offs that best fit what you like. The right combo of T5 bulbs will color any coral to peak levels.......how much blue you add on top of that is for viewing pleasure.

Some of those boutique tenuis just aren't going to look the same. The coloration is the same but the viewing pleasure is not. Some of those would be Walt Disney, WWC Pink panther, and TGC Cherry Bomb from my personal experiences. There are waaay more names than actual different tenuis.

To me the goal is to be able to see all the colors at the same brightness and intensity when you stand 4-6 feet away from the tank.

PC Rainbow...........this the best colors I can pull for that coral. If I were to add some blue for supplements it will make the orange and green areas look more intense and the pinkish tips pop a bit more.

48794656017_46940d36d6_c.jpg

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nick,
Here's a couple of the tenuis you ask about......I have these because they look good to me under either type of lights.

47284182362_7687944a40_c.jpg

45778964711_6178f5dec8_c.jpg

If I were add some blue leds I can make the colors pop a bit more to my eyes.......I'd be happy with that type of configuration.

If I were to add too much blue and make the tank look darker and more of a windex look then a tenuis like this wouldn't even get a second glance whereas under a whiter looking tank it's a stand out with it's oregon blue color.

49559876268_1fe0d21fb0_c.jpg

Adding some LEDs for pop on coralites or tips will help.........too much and you kill how much blue. purple, deep red and some pink corals will pop visually to your eyes. Heavier blue will make orange, green, and yellows look visually better.

You have to consider the trade offs that best fit what you like. The right combo of T5 bulbs will color any coral to peak levels.......how much blue you add on top of that is for viewing pleasure.

Some of those boutique tenuis just aren't going to look the same. The coloration is the same but the viewing pleasure is not. Some of those would be Walt Disney, WWC Pink panther, and TGC Cherry Bomb from my personal experiences. There are waaay more names than actual different tenuis.

To me the goal is to be able to see all the colors at the same brightness and intensity when you stand 4-6 feet away from the tank.

PC Rainbow...........this the best colors I can pull for that coral. If I were to add some blue for supplements it will make the orange and green areas look more intense and the pinkish tips pop a bit more.

48794656017_46940d36d6_c.jpg
Wow, what you showed look beautifu. Thank you for sharing!l

I thought about adding a couple of LED strips to get a slightly better evening view, but I’m reconsidering. I have three Blue Plus and three Coral Plus bulbs, which should, based on your thread and experiences, pull all of the color that I want. Now, it’s just up to me to find the corals that will look good under them. A lot of my corals browned when I fought bryopsis with fluconazole, and many paled when I switched from Radions to the SunPower. So, it’s difficult for me to even know what they will look like under the T5s. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I have a feeling that I will be selling many of them in favor of what Adam has at Battlecorals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back