Acro ID?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one was given to me as a freebie a few weeks ago. It was green and had the beginnings of blue tips and is growing into this beauty now and getting these cool colors. It was under Kessils, but since being under the ATI Straton Pro 102, this is what's happening!

I know it's not pink with yellow polka dots, but It's awesome in its own right. I probably knew what it was 10 years ago, but since restarting my tank recently, it seems my coral memory has been overwritten with scales and chords. lol

Anyone know what it is and what it looks like grown out a bit?
This could end up being one of my favorites. Purple, blue, teal and green...I love this one. These are the ones I WELCOME! hehe

1708461469817.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Acropora divaricata.
Beautiful piece, mine started as “a dark (almost black) unknown frag” and showed its real colors after about a month.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Acropora divaricata.
Beautiful piece, mine started as “a dark (almost black) unknown frag” and showed its real colors after about a month.
I think we're right about at the month mark too come to think of it.
It just recently started blowing up like this.
It looks like it can assume different growth forms and colors from the photos I've looked up.

Thank you!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are different verities with different color patterns.
The most common in the hobby (and likely what we both have) is marketed as the “Rainbow Loom” - it also can have a bit different shades of green/yellow/purple/blue, some depending on lighting, but I also have a friend that runs a farm and he actually has multiple varieties of the same pattern under the same light, but they show different shades of color.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it continues to green up as it matures, it could be a Green Hulk Acro. Mine looked similar earlier last year.
IMG_3905.png
IMG_3831.png
Just have to wait and see. It was initially green with light blue on the tips, and now it's doing this since switching over to the ATI Straton Pro which is really exciting. I've only had the straton for like a week now too. I already have new branches growing on everything since then which is a pretty positive and quick response.

Like, even this Millepora...it's under 500 PAR and going pink on me which is like a dream come true for me. Like Pink you can see in white light. It's green down low. I hope the polyps color up too. And this is with a lot of white light which looks ugly in the tank in my opinion for about 3 hours, but it's having a positive impact on the corals for sure and looks great more like a purple/dark pink once the lights blue up on the up and downramp.

I have like 6 more nice colonies I have to go pick up tomorrow. I'm excited to get them under this light to see what changes they exhibit too. Rainbow tennies, yellow tennies and more millepora...

But I love that stag.
1708474260181.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back