Corals vs Corals...Fight!!! (w/ Pictures)

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a monti and birdsnest that were 6 to 9 inches apart. Both being fast growers I watched as they got closer and closer. I figured one would just kill back a little of the other. I get a call at work from my wife saying something to happening to the monti. By time I get home it is half dead. 24 hours later the whole thing is dead. Then I notice the branch of the birds best that touched it turning white. Within a few days the whole colony was dead except for one little brach. I never expected to lose both colonys.

KevD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this photo from Tank of the Month December 2004 (Gudmundur Geir's (DNA) Reef Aquarium)
Hydnophora VS. Acropora (and toadstool?) .... Hydnophora WIN
Coral-Wars-2.jpg
Wow that’s crazy, poor coral.

KevD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing this information, since I am new to corals this really helps me out when placement of corals.
So I'm always curious to know which corals will kill other corals. I've learned several valuable lessons after few years in the hobby and have saved some pics of what happens WHEN CORALS ATTACK!

Post pics if you can, names and or genera will help too. Lets try to make a database out of this.

Round 1...fight!
Acan Echinata VS. Chalice ... Acan Echinata WIN
VctNU0Y.jpg

And the damage on the right side of the Echinata was from a Discoma mushroom.

Next:
Discoma Mushroom VS. Ricordea Yuma Mushroom.... TIE
ThFo3Ef.jpg

Next:
Discoma Mushroom VS. Meteor Shower Cyphastrea.... Discoma WIN
xspHoSm.jpg

Next:
Chalice VS. Chalice... TIE
gV3ZwxU.jpg

Next:
Acan Lord VS. Favia.... Acan WIN
fOaXlov.jpg

Next:
Chalice VS. Zoas... TIE (so far)
FxZuAxs.jpg

Next:
Acan Lord VS. Meteor Shower Cyphastrea... Cyphastrea WIN
0B4kk38.jpg

Next:
Chalice VS. Plating Montipora - Chalice WIN
mU21xgf.jpg

Next:
Pavona vs. Palythoa - Pavona WIN
The damage got more severe than this photo, it took out a bunch of Utter Chaos
y7ngUGm.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea vs Zoa. At the time this picture it was a stalemate. The cyphastrea had completely surrounded the individual zoa polyps but they were still healthy. That didn't last and eventually they died.

cypastrea-zoas (1 of 1).jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the baddest coral out there? From what I've read, acans, torches, meteor shower? It also seems like zoas are indestructible.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the baddest coral out there? From what I've read, acans, torches, meteor shower? It also seems like zoas are indestructible.

For corals, probably Hydnophora.

EDIT: Although Euphyllia are very aggressive with real long sweepers.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a monti and birdsnest that were 6 to 9 inches apart. Both being fast growers I watched as they got closer and closer. I figured one would just kill back a little of the other. I get a call at work from my wife saying something to happening to the monti. By time I get home it is half dead. 24 hours later the whole thing is dead. Then I notice the branch of the birds best that touched it turning white. Within a few days the whole colony was dead except for one little brach. I never expected to lose both colonys.

Could someone with more experience talk about this?

Something similar happened to me where a monti touched an acro. I noticed the smallest touch of tissue recession with the acro losing, so I figured I'd move it. Within 24 hours the entire acro went white from what I thought was a minor touch. That was not my expectation for how warfare would play out. I assumed it was a slow game of give + take related to their growth rates.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone with more experience talk about this?

Something similar happened to me where a monti touched an acro. I noticed the smallest touch of tissue recession with the acro losing, so I figured I'd move it. Within 24 hours the entire acro went white from what I thought was a minor touch. That was not my expectation for how warfare would play out. I assumed it was a slow game of give + take related to their growth rates.
Like my picture, my very fast growing birdsnest had a white branch in morning, and was completely white by bedtime.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the end result of one of my colonies a few months back due to SPS wars. Had one totally STN on me. I think its best to keep them away from
each other. With SPS at least if they don't stn you can start them over again with a small frag.
20180330_121517_2.jpg

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lepto War

So Far, the golden lepto and the pink lepto teamed up to take down the WWC Hulk Lepto. The Gold and Pink are about to meet so this will be interesting. I have another grouping of Toxic Spill Lepto and JF Jak'o that are getting along, I'll get some pics of those later

March 11th
FullSizeRender.jpg

Today
Snapseed1.jpg

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lepto War

So Far, the golden lepto and the pink lepto teamed up to take down the WWC Hulk Lepto. The Gold and Pink are about to meet so this will be interesting. I have another grouping of Toxic Spill Lepto and JF Jak'o that are getting along, I'll get some pics of those later

March 11th
FullSizeRender.jpg

Today
Snapseed1.jpg
Bye bye Hulk

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back