Corals vs Corals...Fight!!! (w/ Pictures)

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its easy to say a coral beats another in a fight but I had some that have turned what looked like a loss into a win, well sorta. I have seen my candycane get some licks in on one of my montiporas. It even had a nice bleached spot. A few months later I guess the monti got used to it and grew around the base of the candy cane. In my other experiences this is what wins.
Montipora vs montipora - what ever one decides to grow over the other wins
Orange didgi vs acro - orange didgi
Orange didgi vs millipora - orange didgi
Orange didgi vs montipora - orange didgi
Montipora vs torch- torch
Torch vs hammer - torch
Torch vs frogspawn - even draw
Montipora vs candy cane - draw
Slimer vs acro - slimer

20160917_193038.jpg

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting to read, and also surprising on some of the corals that are in the fight. What do you think starts them fighting when they have coexisted next to each other for a time.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew
The two in my tank had been coexisting for the better part of a year before the echinata went on the offensive. I guess the growth of the two just put them too close together.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew
The two in my tank had been coexisting for the better part of a year before the echinata went on the offensive. I guess the growth of the two just put them too close together.

Somewhere I read that some corals can "smell" each other, and the article said something about placing corals in a sump for a few days before moving them into the DT, a way of introducing corals without chemical warfare breaking out I guess.

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome thread with so much insight to be shared and learned from.
Why is it not more popular.

For a newbie who isn't as knowledgeable with the different coral types. I find it helps immensly.

I agree, but also, I have seen some of the corals mentioned not fight right next to each other. It's weird.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one favia that likes to throw out its sweepers, while the Enchinata and many other favia, not a peep from them. Every evening I do a wellness check, and use a flash light to see whats going on, the one night I don't do it you know whats going to happen.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a ricordea literally extend upwards a good inch, latch onto a candy cane coral, kill it, then retract back to normal. I find that cyphastrea beats almost everything sps wise. My lobo beats my frogspawn, and my rasta zoas beat my rainbow montipora

Som1else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens every so often in my tank and I never thought to document it. I really like all the pics here.
Its definitely good info for good when you start out aquascaping, even though in the end you cant really control it once things grow to a certain size.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan vs Zoa-
Small bit of zoas broke off a colony and went floating around.....the Duncan decided to have a snack. I guess the zoas won because they were released. Both corals were fine afterwards. The second pic when the zoas had opened while trying to be devoured is one of my favorite photos.

AB633D1B-5DFF-4D92-962F-2B949EE191E9.jpeg

FBF3AA63-822F-45DF-86E2-49111FEF4576.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan vs Zoa-
Small bit of zoas broke off a colony and went floating around.....the Duncan decided to have a snack. I guess the zoas won because they were released. Both corals were fine afterwards. The second pic when the zoas had opened while trying to be devoured is one of my favorite photos.

AB633D1B-5DFF-4D92-962F-2B949EE191E9.jpeg

FBF3AA63-822F-45DF-86E2-49111FEF4576.jpeg

Awesome picture! Do Zoas need to open to release their toxins? Probably a dumb question. Not a very defensive posture if it were so.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s really cool. I love my Duncans, I have a couple kinds. I once watched one head swallow a peppermints shrimps shell from its molt, then spit it out. Took a couple hours, I’m glad I witnessed it.

Dave

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back