Leyth's 280

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've been waiting for this day for a long time. My custom 280 has finally arrived! The dimensions of it are 72x30x30 and it's eurobraced on a steel stand. 6x drilled returns.

I am going to document all milestones in this thread.

Also, if I don't respond to this thread after tonight, it's because my wife killed me. She hasn't come home from work yet and she has no idea how big of a tank I bought.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets hope your wife doesn't kill you, although it is big enough for her to bury you in it, LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Can't wait to see this tank come together. In the process of building a 72x30x24 tank myself.;Woot

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've been waiting for this day for a long time. My custom 280 has finally arrived! The dimensions of it are 72x30x30 and it's eurobraced on a steel stand. 6x drilled returns.

I am going to document all milestones in this thread.

Also, if I don't respond to this thread after tonight, it's because my wife killed me. She hasn't come home from work yet and she has no idea how big of a tank I bought.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg
Don't worry, as my wife of 45 years once said (and I've never forgotten), "If you're happy, I'm happy!

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making water all weekend and this is as far as I’ve gotten. Slowly working on my aquascape at the same time.

I’m considering beginning the cycle as I wait for the sump to arrive. Not sure if there is a negative impact of adding 70 gallons of water volume to a cycled tank. I won’t be adding any livestock until I’m confident their is ample denitrifying bacteria in the tank either way.

6DC36938-D10A-482A-96D0-D754B34B5623.jpeg

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any input on sump sizes? I want to be able to have a refugium/frag area along with a return chamber that can house 2 varios 6's. I can't decide between 48" or 60" sump for this size aquarium.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any input on sump sizes? I want to be able to have a refugium/frag area along with a return chamber that can house 2 varios 6's. I can't decide between 48" or 60" sump for this size aquarium.
In regards to sump size, what other equipment are you planning to use? Where will you house future additions to your system...under, beside tank or in another room?
Personally, I’d go largest possible.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes go largest possible for the sump.

Melevs reef makes custom sumps that are pretty sweet.

So you have 6x 1.5" bulkheads in this tank? Where are they located?

A tank this size i strongly recommend the bean animal.

What lights etc are you going to use?

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to sump size, what other equipment are you planning to use? Where will you house future additions to your system...under, beside tank or in another room?
Personally, I’d go largest possible.
Yea after some research I’ve decided larger makes more sense. I’ve ordered a synergy cl60.
Yes go largest possible for the sump.

Melevs reef makes custom sumps that are pretty sweet.

So you have 6x 1.5" bulkheads in this tank? Where are they located?

A tank this size i strongly recommend the bean animal.

What lights etc are you going to use?
I misspoke. The return holes are drilled at 1.5” so 3/4” pvc abs is what I will need for them if I understand correctly. They are located across the back wall. Yes bean animal is what I was going to use.
Oh and you can use slip or threaded bulkheads, doesn't matter. Slip is one time use, threaded you can reuse.
Thanks, yea I think I’m going to do slip for everything except threaded for the interior side bulkheads for the locline fittings. Is that a good idea?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only use locline on the return. I have a threaded bulkhead for my return for that reason.

So the hole is 1.5"? I'm pretty sure on brs website you can see what size hole an X" bulkhead needs

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only use locline on the return. I have a threaded bulkhead for my return for that reason.

So the hole is 1.5"? I'm pretty sure on brs website you can see what size hole an X" bulkhead needs
Yea BRS is what I was using. It says for a 1.5” hole it would be a 3/4” bulkhead. Which I was planning to run 1 or 2 varios6(I already have one) to drive the 6 returns. The output of the varios6 is 1.25” so I was going to run that until I need to split. With my overflow having 3x 1” drains, if I were to use bean animal style, should I even bother getting a second varios6? The max output for varios6 is 1700gph while the max drain of a 1” is approx 1000gph. 1 varios6 should be adequate considering the bottleneck by my overflow right? This would give me approx 3x turnover through my sump unless I’m overlooking something.

This is going to be awesome! I like the dimensions.
Thank you! It is really perfect minus not being able to reach the back wall very well without a big ladder haha. My raised stand height makes it hard to work on this tank without a ladder.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you either draw or share a picture of just the back glass that shows where the holes are? Would give us a better idea of optimal plumbing options

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back