OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you either draw or share a picture of just the back glass that shows where the holes are? Would give us a better idea of optimal plumbing options

yep here are a couple...

FCF73E20-E41A-4D26-909E-1F74DA3AE810.jpeg
4946AB8F-921C-45ED-89CE-41F57B60FCF2.jpeg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm. I'm thinking 2x pumps split 3 ways each for your return. So you will need some return pumps that pack some horse power.

I don't remember if you got a sump already, but you will need one that will accommodate 2 returns.

You could also tie two sumps together, but that is a bit more complicated though. Be sure to get DC return pumps.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm. I'm thinking 2x pumps split 3 ways each for your return. So you will need some return pumps that pack some horse power.

I don't remember if you got a sump already, but you will need one that will accommodate 2 returns.

You could also tie two sumps together, but that is a bit more complicated though. Be sure to get DC return pumps.
Awesome, that’s exactly what I had planned. The sump I ordered will have two outputs on the return side. I am going to run 2x varios6 for the 6x returns. 3x returns for each pump. I opted for the varios6 because I already have one from my previous build.

They are 1760gph max each with controllers so that should help me tune them to help dial in the overflow.
What do you think?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will work out nicely.

If you want to run any reactors or whatever I would use a separate pump as you don't want to muck about with the returns when it's split like that.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the hardest parts of this hobby is being patient and let time pass before intervening. One strategy is to occupy your time with something else. This week we added another member to the family that will be occupying a lot of my time. Meet Zoa!

F0725669-4873-46B8-B114-6DDC902F389A.jpeg

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering moving everything from my 17 gallon nano tank into the 280. The 17 has been running for about 7 years. Any disadvantages to doing this all at once that I am overlooking? Does it need to be a slow transfer over? Obviously, I wouldn't do it until the 280 is cycled. Thanks ahead

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on plumbing. I need to reduce the drain from 1.25" to 1", where is the best place to put the reducer? Closer to the sump or closer to the overflow? Before or after the drain valve?

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few issues to deal with. I’ve got two small leaks that I’ve fixed temporarily with glue. I need to redo the plumbing in those areas.

Also, this external overflow can’t flow as much as I was hoping. My two varios 6 run at 2/5 speed. Maybe not an issue, I don’t know yet.

The other items on my agenda are to get 3 more Reefi Duos as the PAR I’m getting currently is around 60 on the sand bed due to the height of the tank. I also need to get more rock work.

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few issues to deal with. I’ve got two small leaks that I’ve fixed temporarily with glue. I need to redo the plumbing in those areas.

Also, this external overflow can’t flow as much as I was hoping. My two varios 6 run at 2/5 speed. Maybe not an issue, I don’t know yet.

The other items on my agenda are to get 3 more Reefi Duos as the PAR I’m getting currently is around 60 on the sand bed due to the height of the tank. I also need to get more rock work.
What settings are you using?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back