Corals we cannot have?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some corals out there that are outlawed in the hobby? I do not get to dive or see the natural ocean. So it always interests me how many corals exist that truly cannot be kept in the hobby. What unobtainable coral would you bring to the hobby if you were to choose?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collecting all species of stony corals from the Caribbean has been banned for many years, so you can only have those aquacultured.
If you live in Hawaii, you cannot have any imported corals, stony or soft, so only few local zoas or soft are available.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on where you live, different countries have different types of legislation in place. Some corals are considered invasive species depending on where you live. That does indeed put some limitations on what you can get your hands on.

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I feel if something was banned someone already has it and it has been aqua cultured. I do not see any reason for a coral that is solely in the hobby to be banned as all we are doing is growing and nurturing the coral (Only reason I can think of is if the coral in subject is actively hurting a person or animal).

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a bunch of corals if we look through the whole list. Just comparing the stony corals listed by the Austrailian Institute of Marine Science's Coral database it looks like only a fraction of the species listed are actually being kept and propagated in aquaria. If we look at corals at the genotype level the list likely gets even smaller compred to what's living in hte wild as coral immune systems can vary a great deal between different ones ans some are very sensitive to disrupted microbiomes and may not even be able to be shipped let along kept in aquaria.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Probably a bunch of corals if we look through the whole list. Just comparing the stony corals listed by the Austrailian Institute of Marine Science's Coral database it looks like only a fraction of the species listed are actually being kept and propagated in aquaria. If we look at corals at the genotype level the list likely gets even smaller compred to what's living in hte wild as coral immune systems can vary a great deal between different ones ans some are very sensitive to disrupted microbiomes and may not even be able to be shipped let along kept in aquaria.
Going back to the original question though, there are a bunch that might not be “outlawed” per se, just not ideal specimens for collection either due to looks, environment, or survival.

I agree that stony corals from the Carribean are the only ones I’ve heard of that are “outlawed”, which include true favia.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall what all has been banned for importation into California, someone mentioned Caribbean coral which includes my favorite among the banned;
Elkhorn coral.
IMG_1705.jpeg

(Thanks Reef Builders-photo)

And the other favorite species turns out to be a weed, blue ridge coral- Heliopora that is available from some places so presumably it is captive bred?
IMG_1706.jpeg

(Tidal Gardens website pictures-thanks)

The restrictions on wild harvesting are government regulations that are generated by politicians who are doing their best to protect themselves with the coral shield as a cloak for nefarious activities elsewhere keeping the public distracted from the real danger, ime.

Many reefers are environmentalists with regard to reef protection but perhaps anarchistic with regard to coral collection bans. A few fragments won’t hurt?

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know of a coral banned in the hobby so this will be a interesting thread!
I suppose I should have asked what corals are illegal to harvest. Of course if it’s already being propagated, it’s legal to sell. But I was referring especially to the Caribbean species. I was walking to class and had this random sporadic thought and did not elaborate enough. Lol

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collecting all species of stony corals from the Caribbean has been banned for many years, so you can only have those aquacultured.
If you live in Hawaii, you cannot have any imported corals, stony or soft, so only few local zoas or soft are available.
We cannot legally own ANY corals in Hawaii except for a few local leather corals and local zoas/palys. All zoanthids/palythoas must be harvested with damaging any corals or rock upon which they attach. And it is not only illegal to harvest any stony corals it is illegal just to damage any corals. There are undoubtedly people here who break the law but there isn’t even a grandfather clause for people who have longstanding aquaria from before the current rules were created.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common and huge in the Caribbean. I have seen them much larger than my car.

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Elkhorn. They are rather common but I don't think they are sold.

I don't remember where I took this.

Unfortunately, they aren't as common anymore especially after the event this past summer with water temps. I work partly for a federal research group studying Elkhorn coral in Florida and its dang near all dead. What was left and fragged and out planted all pretty much died this summer. What few native mother colonies we had left are dead. There were sites all through Florida all the way down to the Dry Tortugas and last we checked (July) it was all bleached except for the stuff up by Miami. We're going back in a month, but the outlook is pretty bleak.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back