Want it to look clean?

Close the door.

SumpCloset1219.jpg

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More importantly - none of us should be ashamed of the mess because I frankly think it's one of the most difficult aspects of this hobby since we always are upgrading tech and the focus (as it should be) is typically on our pets the tank looking nice. Share your images with everyone so we can help coach each other!
Thanks for the reply! I always feel a little down when I open the cabinet to get tank work done.

I've drawn up a few designs for a couple different control boards that will definitely help and hide all wires but my biggest hurdle is actually caused by an MP40 cable (you can see how much of the cable is around the side of the tank) and the Hygger heater control cable not long enough. They only reach about 3-4 inches into the cabinet so whatever I build with either be almost flush with the back wall, or those two control units will just need to be separately mounted behind the main control panel (which will make them hard to get to). Also, heat production is an issue. I don't want to close anything in, there needs to be some airflow. Does anyone use a fan in their cabinet?

I'm thinking about tackling this project in the next couple of weeks, so I'll update with design and pictures when finished. It's also my daughter's birthday and building/painting a large Frozen dollhouse is proving difficult enough!

Also, I'm very hesitant to drill or screw anything into the existing stand walls. I was already super paranoid that the stand would not hold 2,000+ lbs when I started.

Here's a pic to make everyone else feel better about theirs ;)

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.20.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.20.22 AM.png

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mount power bricks I use cable ties that have a hole for a screw. With a little practice you can get a power brick to stay flat against a wall with 2 of these. Screw it on the wall like the in the pic. Bend it out from the wall and go around the brick and then bring it up behind it. Cinch it up. I also make wire control points with these.
nsi-industries-wire-management-7500mh-64_1000.jpg
Where have these been all my life!?!

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use American DJ 8 outlet power strips (2) for my new system. when I do a water change I turn off the UV, skimmer and one of the sump powerheads, set display powerheads and return to feed mode and then get to work. I hid all the cords behind the panel and organized everything with Velcro bands, used Velcro strips to attach power supplies to the inside of the box. the box is hung with home made French cleats, clean and simple look. as far as the inside of the stand I used cable raceways to hide everything nice and neat and to keep them away from potential water...

61172637989__556521AD-9060-4091-8E29-ED966D5CC05A.JPG

IMG_1813.jpg

07 21 2020 - 3.jpg

07 21 2020 - 1.jpg

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one slide in idea that isn't tank mounted at all and should fit within the cabinet. Finished MDF boards framed by 2x4s with cord holes, one on top and one on the bottom. From the front view, the boards will overlap enough to not see the ~8" depth gap between them for an arm to go through for maintenance. Also leaves room for additional equipment if those purchases happen (in the very distant future)!

If it slides all the way to the back, this will still leave about 12" of cabinet space in front of the setup for random tank stuff (organized of course). Might paint the whole thing black.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.55.09 AM.png

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have an Apex power bar (like myself) I suggest checking out the TP Link Kasa wifi power strip - you can use manual switches for each plug, use your phone/app to turn them on and off from anywhere, check power consumption, and if you really want to show off, use a google home or alexa to turn things on and off. The app also lets you label each outlet with what you are using. An upgrade that won't break the bank for most.
Id love one, I really would. But I’m 16 and unemployed now so it’s kind of unfeasible. Right now I’m fragging and selling for money, it’s not great just a couple bucks a week. I really can’t stand charging more than $10 for a xenia colony, that’s like highway robbery. I don’t have any high end stuff either so it’s been pretty hard trying to come up with pocket money. And cause I’m 16 I’m expected to pay for my own gas, car insurance, people’s birthday presents, stuff like that. Covid sucks.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id love one, I really would. But I’m 16 and unemployed now so it’s kind of unfeasible. Right now I’m fragging and selling for money, it’s not great just a couple bucks a week. I really can’t stand charging more than $10 for a xenia colony, that’s like highway robbery. I don’t have any high end stuff either so it’s been pretty hard trying to come up with pocket money. And cause I’m 16 I’m expected to pay for my own gas, car insurance, people’s birthday presents, stuff like that. Covid sucks.

To be honest with you, I don't run an APEX, I would love to have one but its not needed. you just have to be more involved with your tank. my sons are 13 and 15 and they are in the same boat as you, they hustle to make stuff work for them... they are currently saving money to get an apex for their tanks, and for now they are just taking care of things manually.

good luck kiddo, stick with it.... it will make you a better person when you earn it!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest with you, I don't run an APEX, I would love to have one but its not needed. you just have to be more involved with your tank. my sons are 13 and 15 and they are in the same boat as you, they hustle to make stuff work for them... they are currently saving money to get an apex for their tanks, and for now they are just taking care of things manually.

good luck kiddo, stick with it.... it will make you a better person when you earn it!
Thank you!! I’d love to charge more for frags but my heart just can’t take it. If I wouldn’t pay the price I’m charging for a coral then I don’t charge that much. I see no reason for coral to be as expensive as some people make it. Like I saw xenia on WWC for like $40 yesterday and it was like 1/10th the size I’m selling for $10!! I love my tank, but after paying for fish food, frag plugs, salt, supplements, and the rest of it I just can’t afford to do anything else. The most expensive thing I’ve ever tried to sell is this RBTA.
AA0D422C-ECEC-4C3D-B68E-D4124C7B6118.jpeg
0E6BCBE8-55C4-48C0-B7FA-441AAA370091.jpeg

It’s so pretty and but nobody around me wants it. I’ve even called all the lfs and they don’t want it either. I don’t know what to do with it. Super experienced reefers don’t want nems cause they can burn corals but newbies also don’t want them because they die in immature tanks. I’m really stuck here cause I can’t put it back in my tank, I don’t have the space and nobody want to buy it, and I really can’t just throw it away, it feels like murder. I don’t know what to do and I don’t want to keep it in that tiny cup cause it deserves better than that.

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use American DJ 8 outlet power strips (2) for my new system. when I do a water change I turn off the UV, skimmer and one of the sump powerheads, set display powerheads and return to feed mode and then get to work. I hid all the cords behind the panel and organized everything with Velcro bands, used Velcro strips to attach power supplies to the inside of the box. the box is hung with home made French cleats, clean and simple look. as far as the inside of the stand I used cable raceways to hide everything nice and neat and to keep them away from potential water...

61172637989__556521AD-9060-4091-8E29-ED966D5CC05A.JPG

IMG_1813.jpg

07 21 2020 - 3.jpg

07 21 2020 - 1.jpg
I think you're the first person on the thread to have fans for their cord storage - I believe @Kryptonian had some questions related to fans to help keep things cooled.

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one slide in idea that isn't tank mounted at all and should fit within the cabinet. Finished MDF boards framed by 2x4s with cord holes, one on top and one on the bottom. From the front view, the boards will overlap enough to not see the ~8" depth gap between them for an arm to go through for maintenance. Also leaves room for additional equipment if those purchases happen (in the very distant future)!

If it slides all the way to the back, this will still leave about 12" of cabinet space in front of the setup for random tank stuff (organized of course). Might paint the whole thing black.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.55.09 AM.png

Planning is always the second step (idea generation and research such as this thread being the first)! If I could make a suggestion - I have seen some controller boards with hinge access on them so you can lift or open the panel to make it even easier to access things when you need to.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I’d love to charge more for frags but my heart just can’t take it. If I wouldn’t pay the price I’m charging for a coral then I don’t charge that much. I see no reason for coral to be as expensive as some people make it. Like I saw xenia on WWC for like $40 yesterday and it was like 1/10th the size I’m selling for $10!! I love my tank, but after paying for fish food, frag plugs, salt, supplements, and the rest of it I just can’t afford to do anything else. The most expensive thing I’ve ever tried to sell is this RBTA.

It’s so pretty and but nobody around me wants it. I’ve even called all the lfs and they don’t want it either. I don’t know what to do with it. Super experienced reefers don’t want nems cause they can burn corals but newbies also don’t want them because they die in immature tanks. I’m really stuck here cause I can’t put it back in my tank, I don’t have the space and nobody want to buy it, and I really can’t just throw it away, it feels like murder. I don’t know what to do and I don’t want to keep it in that tiny cup cause it deserves better than that.

Its beautiful! I would love to have that in my tank and if you weren't located 10 hrs from the edge of Texas I would jump on it.....

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're the first person on the thread to have fans for their cord storage - I believe @Kryptonian had some questions related to fans to help keep things cooled.

I figured it was going to build some heat in there from the power adapters... the fan that i'm using is from reef octopus, it has a temp probe on it and it will increase and decrease fan speed as the temperature fluctuates in there. totally worth it, and I was glad that I could make a clean install on it.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I always feel a little down when I open the cabinet to get tank work done.

I've drawn up a few designs for a couple different control boards that will definitely help and hide all wires but my biggest hurdle is actually caused by an MP40 cable (you can see how much of the cable is around the side of the tank) and the Hygger heater control cable not long enough. They only reach about 3-4 inches into the cabinet so whatever I build with either be almost flush with the back wall, or those two control units will just need to be separately mounted behind the main control panel (which will make them hard to get to). Also, heat production is an issue. I don't want to close anything in, there needs to be some airflow. Does anyone use a fan in their cabinet?

I'm thinking about tackling this project in the next couple of weeks, so I'll update with design and pictures when finished. It's also my daughter's birthday and building/painting a large Frozen dollhouse is proving difficult enough!

Also, I'm very hesitant to drill or screw anything into the existing stand walls. I was already super paranoid that the stand would not hold 2,000+ lbs when I started.

Here's a pic to make everyone else feel better about theirs ;)

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.20.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.20.22 AM.png

#Kryptonian and #Leiph86

Here you guys go!
First, Leiph86, you can buy a board over at Lowe’s or Home Depot, then buy a water sealant in a can, it’s like five bucks.

first, drill your holes where you want them and then spray your sealant. I used five coats. I also bought wall hole plugs? Whatever they’re called! That way the cords aren’t rubbing the wood and showing.
it’s that simple!

Second, Kryptonian! Looks like you have space to use a board like this too!!!
Guys, check out my build thread! This board and everything I did cost liked $20 total!!!

BE1FAC87-0E1C-438D-9E22-7A75C93C16B3.jpeg C62FD3D8-E5E0-44A3-A888-3E38D6E4BC6D.jpeg C9C9C4F4-0304-459F-90EC-361DE38E702B.jpeg

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First - @footgal glad to know that you're contributing to the reefing community by posting here and selling frags locally. I started reefing in college when I was broke as one could be (ramen for days) - but we find ways to make it work and all bad things pass in time - including COVID!

But also keep this in mind, there is a difference between offering reasonable prices for something that you worked hard to nurture and grow and 'highway robbery'. It's okay to charge a bit more knowing that you had to invest in growing those corals and its a method for you to recoup the costs. A lot of the prices people pay coming from companies like WWC is for the guarantee and quality of the corals and the crazy designer aspects but not everyone needs that. It's like the difference between a Ford sedan and a Mercedes-Benz - both are cars and will accomplish the same thing but one has more prestige with the community.

I think 10 bucks is a bit lowball personally, whereas maybe 20 - 25 is more reasonable and most likely a better price for larger frags. I know we are veering a bit off topic from the cord discussion here, but whenever someone needs support that's what this place is for - myself included. Just keep in mind @footgal - for all things in reefing - seldom do good things happen fast. Things will look up in the long run!

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Kryptonian and #Leiph86

Here you guys go!
First, Leiph86, you can buy a board over at Lowe’s or Home Depot, then buy a water sealant in a can, it’s like five bucks.

first, drill your holes where you want them and then spray your sealant. I used five coats. I also bought wall hole plugs? Whatever they’re called! That way the cords aren’t rubbing the wood and showing.
it’s that simple!

Second, Kryptonian! Looks like you have space to use a board like this too!!!
Guys, check out my build thread! This board and everything I did cost liked $20 total!!!

BE1FAC87-0E1C-438D-9E22-7A75C93C16B3.jpeg C62FD3D8-E5E0-44A3-A888-3E38D6E4BC6D.jpeg C9C9C4F4-0304-459F-90EC-361DE38E702B.jpeg
Thanks for posting! So it appears your cords go behind the board and then back to the front of it to plug into your powerstip? Are they loose behind the board?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting! So it appears your cords go behind the board and then back to the front of it to plug into your powerstip? Are they loose behind the board?
Yes. I thought about tying them together but like them loose if I ever need to do something with them!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back