Should I get the Helio PTC or Helio w/ universal plugs?

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up a new 40 gallon breeder with a 20ish gallon sump. Currently I'm running some old Finnex heaters that have the controller built into the cords. They heat just fine, but I have to set them for like 85* to get the water to heat properly. I think it's time to replace them for this new set up and I'll just keep those around for heating up mixing water or emergency back ups.

I had an inkbird in the past but didn't like it. It felt really cheap and they out right tell you to replace it every year, which doesn't make me feel great (I know people run them much longer though). IM has this new(ish) Helio line though which sports a 5 year warranty, which provides a level of confidence in their product so I think I'll go that route.

My question is, should I go with the universal option that uses the BRS elements or should I grab the PTC version? The heating elements themselves are about the same cost.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did consider them, as I'm a fan of Sicce and love the price, but at 14 inches for a 200w heater, they're way too big to comfortably fit in my set up.
Yeah, they are pretty big. I went for the scubas for that 5-year warranty and the availability of controlling them from your phone. They are also cost effective. If I was in your shoes I would opt out for the Helio's. I have never personally used one, but they look pretty good and the 200W is only 7".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back