Coris Wrasse Compatibility

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 2 1/2” White Belly Yellow Coris wrasse in my 120g DT (4’x2’x2’) and I would like to move my 4” Yellow Coris Wrasse into the same tank as he outgrowing his current tank. I also have a 4-5” male Purple Scale Fairy Wrasse in the 120. Has anyone kept these two Coris Wrasses together? Will they fight?
@SaltyT

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 1/2” White Belly Yellow Coris wrasse in my 120g DT (4’x2’x2’) and I would like to move my 4” Yellow Coris Wrasse into the same tank as he outgrowing his current tank. I also have a 4-5” male Purple Scale Fairy Wrasse in the 120. Has anyone kept these two Coris Wrasses together? Will they fight?
@SaltyT
One thing:
The yellow ‘coris’ wrasse is actually not a coris wrasse, same with the silver belly ‘coris’ instead both of them are Halichoeres wrasse and I have seen them two species cohab perfectly however, still take caution when adding them together. I think there have been times where these two wrasses have paired up and ‘spawned’ though

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing:
The yellow ‘coris’ wrasse is actually not a coris wrasse, same with the silver belly ‘coris’ instead both of them are Halichoeres wrasse and I have seen them two species cohab perfectly however, still take caution when adding them together. I think there have been times where these two wrasses have paired up and ‘spawned’ though
Yes, I’m sorry - I should be specific about their types. One is a H. Chrysus & the other one that is already in my 120 is a H. Leucoxanthus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’m sorry - I should be specific about their types. One is a H. Chrysus & the other one that is already in my 120 is a H. Leucoxanthus
Yeah, thought so. And yes I would say they’ll get along just fine (Again hold caution and don’t interfere unless you see constant chasing and not just spasms of chasing)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how you mention spawning, because according to evolved the common wisdom (from his experience) is that they all turn male. Perhaps for Halichoeres it’s not as bad as he says?
Halichoeres won’t always turn male. My radiant was in my tank and she’s now 3” and been there in a year, 0 signs of turning to male. Halichoeres won’t all turn male, Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus will always turn male even if there’s a male or no female in the tank, Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon and Anampses dont always do this.
Yes they will turn male if there’s another female of the same sp in the tank (e.g. 3 M. bipartitus, 2 will stay female and 1 will go male)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know. I may well try a pair or trio of a Halichoeres species sometime.
Yeah, I would love a trio of Halichoeres but I already have 3 wrasse planned for my tank and they’ll be the last three wrasse to my 5 already in the final tank (until I upgrade)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how you mention spawning, because according to evolved the common wisdom (from his experience) is that they all turn male. Perhaps for Halichoeres it’s not as bad as he says?
He as also reported his wrasses spawning together, but the female eventually turning male anyway.
That’s good to know. I may well try a pair or trio of a Halichoeres species sometime.
I would not do that. Any adult Halichoeres I've ever seen has turned male. I agree leopards don't seem to always turn. I don't have experience with Anampses. H. chrysus and leucoxanthus (sister species) are about as easy going as it gets, so those may work to have multiples in a large tank. I saw a display at a public aquarium with multiple mature H. biocellatus. They are easy going too, but I obviously don't know how it worked out long term.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltyT
I haven't been on R2R in a few days. I'm assuming based on the size of your Leucoxanthus that it's still female so having the two together will likely be fine. But when your Leucoxanthus transitions (all halichoeres wrasses transition to male in our aquariums it's just a matter of time) and because of how closely related it is to Chrysus, they may or may not co-exist together as males long term.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While were on the subject of yellow coris, is their male coloration any different then the female? Or juvenile to adult for that matter?

I have a yellow coris(H. Chrysus) that has stayed the same all 5 years I have owned him/her. I also own several other wrasses, including a red coris(C. gaimard), and the yellow is definitely the tank boss.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While were on the subject of yellow coris, is their male coloration any different then the female? Or juvenile to adult for that matter?
Yes. Mature chrysus won't have the eye spots on the fins, and they get green streaks on their head.
I have a yellow coris(H. Chrysus) that has stayed the same all 5 years I have owned him/her. I also own several other wrasses, including a red coris(C. gaimard), and the yellow is definitely the tank boss.

5 years is a long time. I'm surprised it isn't there yet. That Coris gaimard should outgrow it soon. Although I had one of those for 2-3 that never matured. It just lost its stripes, and was plain orange for a long time, so I traded it off.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of fairy wrasse loose colour without a reason to go into full colour, that may be why your wrasse don’t colour up fully, I’m still waiting for my radiant to go male but hoping she won’t because I prefer the female look to the male look

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back