Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0AE9E56E-F6D4-4416-8B2E-B133C7F002D2.png

Click the photo to go to the product page!

Nice! Thanks! I have a feeling mine is way too powerful so moving it might not even be an option unless I want to flatten my plume. I just found out it's rated as 1320gph at max speed. Yikes! I should've checked this first. Ugh!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, you're right!! Mine definitely isn't normal looking compared to yours and the pics @kittenbritches shared. I think mine has died. I just touched it and you are also correct the top is cottony. I pulled it out and all the tissue fell off. I'm so bummed. My purple plume/brush gorg seems to be doing fine but it's in an area with better flow so that could be what killed my poor Corky. I'm trying to find a better spot for my powerhead. There's not a heck of a lot of room in my 5g. They need to make teeny tiny powerhead. :) Mine is small but not small enough for my space so I'm limited in placement. It's a coral box QPS5+. I might have to try the Hygger mini or Koralia Hydor 240 and hope they're smaller so I have more options for placement.

Should the Corky's have gentle back and forth movement or is constant stream fine? I currently have constant stream going.
Ah I’m sorry to hear that but I must say I’m not surprised. It didn’t look good at all. Did it look similar to that at the store?
In my experience the most important thing for gorgonians is the right flow. They like a lot of it but not directly blasted. It’s difficult for sure in a small tank to get it right, mine’s a 20g cube and I had to fuss with the powerheads quite a bit.
I don’t know of a powerhead to recommend but controllability is really handy

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I’m sorry to hear that but I must say I’m not surprised. It didn’t look good at all. Did it look similar to that at the store?
In my experience the most important thing for gorgonians is the right flow. They like a lot of it but not directly blasted. It’s difficult for sure in a small tank to get it right, mine’s a 20g cube and I had to fuss with the powerheads quite a bit.
I don’t know of a powerhead to recommend but controllability is really handy
Thanks! I should've taken a picture of it at the store so I would have something to reference after I got it. If I remember correctly the polyps looked like the pic I posted where the one section had them extended but now I know that's not full extension. I think that's why I thought it was doing OK (until it wasn't). I think the gal told me they had just gotten that corky in to their store so it's possible it was still adjusting to their setup then the poor thing comes to my setup.

I just hope this isn't a situation where I don't have a blue thumb. I have a green thumb so hopefully that carries over to the water world! I hate the thought of killing these guys!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I should've taken a picture of it at the store so I would have something to reference after I got it. If I remember correctly the polyps looked like the pic I posted where the one section had them extended but now I know that's not full extension. I think that's why I thought it was doing OK (until it wasn't). I think the gal told me they had just gotten that corky in to their store so it's possible it was still adjusting to their setup then the poor thing comes to my setup.

I just hope this isn't a situation where I don't have a blue thumb. I have a green thumb so hopefully that carries over to the water world! I hate the thought of killing these guys!
Definitely don’t beat yourself up or get discouraged!! It’s a pretty steep hill to climb and I don’t think anyone has ever reached the top.
Honestly I think that corky was well on its way out before you got it. It’s very hard for a store worker to know everything about everything so it’s super important for us reefkeepers to know more, and know what we’re looking for and at before we make a purchase.
Keep trying and keep smiling!

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im so sorry to hear about your loss. I ordered some gorgs at kp aquatics (one of them being a corky) and they came in perfect condition. They even threw in an extra!!! Great quality from them and well worth the price even after shipping. But good luck!!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so sorry to hear about your loss. I ordered some gorgs at kp aquatics (one of them being a corky) and they came in perfect condition. They even threw in an extra!!! Great quality from them and well worth the price even after shipping. But good luck!!
Thanks for this! It's possible it wasn't in great shape when I got it but I think my flow (or lack thereof) in that area didn't help. Funny thing is that I've seen pictures posted that looked like mine with shorter polyps so I thought there were different varieties like sps and lps. Maybe all the pics I saw were of sickly corkys. I will definitely try again but want to get my flow figured out before I subject another one to my tank. It's not all bad though... My purple plume (aka purple brush) seems to be doing fine but it's in an area with more flow. Can you post a pic of your Corky and your other gorgs? What other gorgs did you get? I love these corals. They're definitely under rated in the hobby!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! It's possible it wasn't in great shape when I got it but I think my flow (or lack thereof) in that area didn't help. Funny thing is that I've seen pictures posted that looked like mine with shorter polyps so I thought there were different varieties like sps and lps. Maybe all the pics I saw were of sickly corkys. I will definitely try again but want to get my flow figured out before I subject another one to my tank. It's not all bad though... My purple plume (aka purple brush) seems to be doing fine but it's in an area with more flow. Can you post a pic of your Corky and your other gorgs? What other gorgs did you get? I love these corals. They're definitely under rated in the hobby!
Any updates

Back