Corky Sea Finger growth

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I've been trying to find info on corky sea fingers and their growth habits but I can't seem to find anything. For example I found this pic online of some corkys in the wild. Is that new growth off the top or are these dying? I just got a frag of one of these guys so I want to know what's going on with it if it changes.

Also, how do people temporarily affix their corals to the rock in case they need to move them? I glued my frag down which in hindsight was probably stupid because now I can't move it if it's not happy. Is there a way to safely remove them once glued? The frag wasn't on a plug.

Thanks for the help! Here's the pic of the wild ones. Not sure if that's new growth or dying skeleton.

image034.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s usually easy to pull up glue. These like moderate levels of flow and light.
Thanks so much! This is good to know in case I have to move mine. Do you know much about the growth habits of this coral? Is that growth in the pic I posted? I can't find anything on these guys as far as growth goes.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't necessarily seen a lot of growth on mine yet, but sometimes they will have their polyps retracted on top or in patches elsewhere.

Can I see your frag? :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't necessarily seen a lot of growth on mine yet, but sometimes they will have their polyps retracted on top or in patches elsewhere.

Can I see your frag? :)
I was just about to tag you because I remember the beautiful pic of yours you tagged me on. :) Even in the store it didn't have super long polyps like yours so I wasn't sure if there are different types like lps and sps. It did seem to bloom a bit after I got it but now I'm not sure if it's dying. I am seeing a boney top like the pic I posted but below that isn't looking so good so I don't know if the boney part is tissue recession or growth. It might not be getting enough flow.

First pic is a week ago, second pic is now. This one is supposed to be a white type. The store had this white one next to a brown one so I chose this type.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20211114_223523_compress20.jpg
    20211114_223523_compress20.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20211120_170727_HDR_compress99.jpg
    20211120_170727_HDR_compress99.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 75

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as growth they usually will branch off the main stalk. The main stalk will continue to grow upwards as well. The bare tips, as seen in that pic , is normal and nothing to worry about if yours starts looking like that.
If you need to move it in the future, you may be able to just pull it off, but if you can’t it’s easy and safe to snip it off at the bottom to release it. I would also suggest attaching it to a piece of rock rubble and glueing the rock down. This makes it much easier to move it in the future. There’s a method to fragging gorgs if you need that info too.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to tag you because I remember the beautiful pic of yours you tagged me on. :) Even in the store it didn't have super long polyps like yours so I wasn't sure if there are different types like lps and sps. It did seem to bloom a bit after I got it but now I'm not sure if it's dying. I am seeing a boney top like the pic I posted but below that isn't looking so good so I don't know if the boney part is tissue recession or growth. It might not be getting enough flow.

First pic is a week ago, second pic is now. This one is supposed to be a white type. The store had this white one next to a brown one so I chose this type.

Thanks for your help!

hmmm, that looks very peculiar.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the polyps been extended at all since you’ve had it?
Yes, it was blooming nicely all around except the very top. You can see some of the polyps extended from this angle. They were all out like the ones you can see in the lower left.

Attachments

• 20211120_170754_compress60.jpg
    20211120_170754_compress60.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 90

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those polyps aren’t really out at all unfortunately. The very top almost looks cottony? Somethings not quite right. I’m going to call in a couple of big guns to perhaps help. @najer @fishguy242 Any thoughts gents?

here’s a couple of terrible pics of my corky a few days after I put it in my tank about 4 months ago. I would consider my polyps quite short compared to other corkys I’ve seen. I’ll try and get a better pic later today.

actually the first pic is after about a month in the tank

6BD04421-CB79-4F6C-8A8A-107251DB1597.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those polyps aren’t really out at all unfortunately. The very top almost looks cottony? Somethings not quite right. I’m going to call in a couple of big guns to perhaps help. @najer @fishguy242 Any thoughts gents?

here’s a couple of terrible pics of my corky a few days after I put it in my tank about 4 months ago. I would consider my polyps quite short compared to other corkys I’ve seen. I’ll try and get a better pic later today.

Sorry never had one.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to address the white vs brown species - from everything I've read it's "seasonal coloration" (mine was imaged as the white variety but doesn't look that way and is more of a pinkish brown). I think that was on kp aquatics page about the seasonal thing.

Now, to address the bare patches - this doesn't look normal to me at all. Random bits of mine close up all the time but that looks very different then what I'm used to seeing in my tank. Usually the bits that close are either being touched by something or are seeing a random change in flow just hitting those areas. Also, like @elorablue mentioned - they almost look cottony....

@Eagle_Steve was already summoned but I'm 2nding his backup being needed here.

Tried to get a photo to show the closed up spot on mine today but the fish are being extra nosy. It's in front of the ruby xenia - they almost blend together
PXL_20211121_203245474.jpg

Last edited:

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to address the white vs brown species - from everything I've read it's "seasonal coloration" (mine was imaged as the white variety but doesn't look that way and is more of a pinkish brown). I think that was on kp aquatics page about the seasonal thing.

Now, to address the bare patches - this doesn't look normal to me at all. Random bits of mine close up all the time but that looks very different then what I'm used to seeing in my tank. Usually the bits that close are either being touched by something or are seeing a random change in flow just hitting those areas. Also, like @elorablue mentioned - they almost look cottony....

@Eagle_Steve was already summoned but I'm 2nding his backup being needed here.

Tried to get a photo to show the closed up spot on mine today but the fish are being extra nosy. It's in front of the ruby xenia - they almost blend together
PXL_20211121_203245474.jpg
It’s interesting as well, I’m starting to doubt whether mine is indeed a Corky. I’ve been wondering this for awhile because the polyps just don’t look like any pic I’ve seen of other corks. I dunno

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed up completely. This is what I'm used to seeing. Maybe the photos you uploaded just are over pixelated or something? But it really does look cottony in yours to me.
PXL_20211121_231116476.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya, you're right!! Mine definitely isn't normal looking compared to yours and the pics @kittenbritches shared. I think mine has died. I just touched it and you are also correct the top is cottony. I pulled it out and all the tissue fell off. I'm so bummed. My purple plume/brush gorg seems to be doing fine but it's in an area with better flow so that could be what killed my poor Corky. I'm trying to find a better spot for my powerhead. There's not a heck of a lot of room in my 5g. They need to make teeny tiny powerhead. :) Mine is small but not small enough for my space so I'm limited in placement. It's a coral box QPS5+. I might have to try the Hygger mini or Koralia Hydor 240 and hope they're smaller so I have more options for placement.

Should the Corky's have gentle back and forth movement or is constant stream fine? I currently have constant stream going.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad! I have a teeny cheap Amazon powerhead in my 5g. I keep mine out of direct flow (close to beneath the powerheads) but where they do get constant indirect movement.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad! I have a teeny cheap Amazon powerhead in my 5g. I keep mine out of direct flow (close to beneath the powerheads) but where they do get constant indirect movement.
Thanks for this! I'm convinced more than ever it was lack of flow for the poor thing. I should've moved him after the first couple days. :-( Which powerhead do you have? I'm also a bit concerned my powerhead might be too powerful. I put it behind a rock to lessen the flow because it blasts pretty hard. I think that worked for where my purple plume is but I think it created a dead spot for my Corky and that part of my tank.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I'm convinced more than ever it was lack of flow for the poor thing. I should've moved him after the first couple days. :-( Which powerhead do you have? I'm also a bit concerned my powerhead might be too powerful. I put it behind a rock to lessen the flow because it blasts pretty hard. I think that worked for where my purple plume is but I think it created a dead spot for my Corky and that part of my tank.
0AE9E56E-F6D4-4416-8B2E-B133C7F002D2.png

Click the photo to go to the product page!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back