Corner overflow- sump orientation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Carabeo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Carabeo

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2022
Messages
48
Reaction score
41
Location
Southern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a corner overflow. Is it beter to have the return close to the overflow? I was provided a very long hose for the downward flow, so I wonder if I should flip the sump.

I would prefer to have the filtersock near the overflow and away from the electrical corner. Then a long hose on the return. Does orientation matter for pump life/ strength, or only the height?
IMG_20220913_101945.jpg
 
There will be a little extra head pressure on the pump because of the extra horizontal distance. How much head pressure it adds is based on pipe size and flow rate, but it likely isn’t a significant amount.
Either way you put the sump in should be fine.
 
I have a corner overflow. Is it beter to have the return close to the overflow? I was provided a very long hose for the downward flow, so I wonder if I should flip the sump.

I would prefer to have the filtersock near the overflow and away from the electrical corner. Then a long hose on the return. Does orientation matter for pump life/ strength, or only the height?
IMG_20220913_101945.jpg
Place the sump the way that works best for you. The small additional distance the return pump needs to push the water is negligible.
 
Thanks much. And how attached should this return hose be? I got it stuck this far on and it doesn't want to budge on more nor come off. I could aggressively remove it and try warming it with a hair dryer. Could I just put a metal clamp on this? Do I even need one?

IMG_20220913_120649.jpg
 
Thanks much. And how attached should this return hose be? I got it stuck this far on and it doesn't want to budge on more nor come off. I could aggressively remove it and try warming it with a hair dryer. Could I just put a metal clamp on this? Do I even need one?

IMG_20220913_120649.jpg
i would heat it up with a hairdryer or use some hot water to soften it. You want to try to get it as high up as you can. I would also put a clamp over too, just to have extra piece of mind. In your picture, it looks like its begging to slip off.
 
You definitely want a clamp on the return line.

Not metal, it will rust. You want something like these... You should be able to find them at a hardware store, if not, then Amazon.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220913-142549.png
    Screenshot_20220913-142549.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 31

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new