Correct Filtration?

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2016
Messages
1,276
Reaction score
1,052
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 30 gallon reef tank. It will have a good amount of corals, snails, and some hermits, but other than that my livestock is limited by the two fish residents of the tank, a frogfish (either sargassum or wartskin) and a snowflake eel. I have the tank set up but no water added yet. For filtration I am using
1. Fluval 306 Canister Filter
2. Phosphate Reactor (Oversized made for a 55 - 75 gallon)
3. Live rock
4. Live sand (sand collected from previous reef tank)
5. powerhead
6. Macroalgae (in tank, no refugium)
Should i add any more? I don't have the budget right now for a sump or refugium, but maybe later. Possibly add a new multimedia reactor with something in it?
 
Sounds good keep that canister clean and you'll be fine. No skimmer?? Just fyi i would do a diy sump u get what u want how u want it and its 5 times cheaper than a pre made sump. I spent like 45 bucks total for my sump and it does great. pictures would be nice by the way.
 
Sounds good keep that canister clean and you'll be fine. No skimmer?? Just fyi i would do a diy sump u get what u want how u want it and its 5 times cheaper than a pre made sump. I spent like 45 bucks total for my sump and it does great. pictures would be nice by the way.
+1 on cleaning the canister or it will just pump nitrates into your system. Clean at least weekly with your bio load. You may also think about using canister for polishing up your tank verses running 24/7.
 
Alright, my new filtration plan is a
1. Partial time canister
2. Protein skimmer
3. Phosphate reactor (i know its redundant, but it doesn't hurt anything)
4. DIY Sump
5. Later addition of refugium (have to buy a light)
The only reason I haven't posted pictures is because the tank has only 5 gallons of water and some sand, not much to look at (yet).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new