Correcting RO/DI rookie mistake

bigterp77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a dumb rookie mistake and my RO/DI unit wasnt set up correctly (real embarassing... my RO unit was in backwards). Assuming the DI unit was picking up for a lot of the slack in the beginning but I have some high phosphates (.80). I fixed the RO/DI unit and figured to do a bunch of water changes through the next few weeks to get it down so it doesnt crash. Fish are fine but I obviously have gotten little to no coral growth and browning due to the dirty water, they are obviously struggling. I dont have any algae issues so I thought that tank was fine.
I was going to begin running GFO to help get the phosphates down, but should I be looking at doing anything else? Nitrates are high around 10, should i be looking at using biopellets or just use carbon in the tank to help get the numbers in the tank down? Im assuming if i lower the phosphates without addressing the nitrates that could present a host of other issues. Should I just rely on the waterchanges to get the Phosphates and Nitrates down slowly?
What else should I be concerned about while using well water?

Thanks for your help!!!

Tank Details...
90 G tank with 30 G sump
Refugium
Alk 10.6
PH 8.1
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1400
Tropic Marin Classic salt
Dosing Kalk and CO2 scrubber on skimmer to help raise PH

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates of 10 isn't really a high level. Just stick with your water changes and you'll gradually improve your water quality. You can run GFO or a temporary phosphate remover.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water changes to slowly fix the phosphate are probably best and safest. The nitrates are fine.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As stated, the nitrates are within acceptable range. WC's and GFO to reduce phosphates. I would also be running carbon at this point, as anything could have been introduced to your water column from unfiltered well water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back