Cost effective cooling

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an odd question, what do we think is more efficient for cooling, a whole bunch of fans, plus having to pull that humidity back out of the basement with a dehumidifier, or a chiller? I currently have fans, (5) but they have tripled my ato rate, which obviously the dehumidifier has to pull back out of the air. Or I was looking at a teco chiller, which seems pretty energy efficient.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank? I would think a chiller would be the best choice from the standpoint of not having to plug in 5 fans, plus the hassle of constantly refilling the ATO, PLUS having to always drain off/empty the dehumidifier.

OP
OP
aimed

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank? I would think a chiller would be the best choice from the standpoint of not having to plug in 5 fans, plus the hassle of constantly refilling the ATO, PLUS having to always drain off/empty the dehumidifier.
It’s 200 gallon tank and 100 gallon sump. Tank is in a cabinet which also has fans, lol.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd run a chiller if you can budget it in with no issues and just ditch the fans. I'd 100% run a chiller on my system if I chose to do so because the humidity is already enough with a big water volume in my office!

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both fans and chiller, if the fans can’t keep up chiller kicks in to help this works well for me here in SoCal

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on a well, by chance? If yes, that’s an option also (what I use for my tank). Also, energy effectiveness of the chiller depends a lot on where you put it. Outside being by FAR the best place. Otherwise you’re just putting the heat back into the tank/room.

OP
OP
aimed

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd run a chiller if you can budget it in with no issues and just ditch the fans. I'd 100% run a chiller on my system if I chose to do so because the humidity is already enough with a big water volume in my office!
Since I installed the chiller, my top off has been cut 95% lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back