Cota's 29g Biocube

cota472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for 2 years, I started getting the itch to start another tank. I started talking to my wife about it and i wanted to stay small, 30g or less, She wanted to go big. I started looking for a decent used Biocube and had a couple leads on decent ones, my wife found someone getting out completely. They had a 90g wave front and three 29g Biocubes all for sale fully setup. I ended up buying one of the Biocubes, fairly stock equipment but with an added UV sterilizer and oceanic skimmer. Not huge things to justify the price but when I saw the mated pair of black ice clowns, I was sold. Now I have not added anything to the livestock, this is all what was in the tank already and yes I am aware that some of it is big No-No's.

For the equipment, it was a nearly stock biocube with the oceanic skimmer and UV sterilizer. I replaced the bulb in the sterilizer and took out the skimmer. I then promptly got on the nano reef forums and found a brand new InTank media and fuge basket set for $60 shipped and I placed an order for a MJ1200. I also ordered a Steve's LED kit, I ordered the unassembled kit with the Typhon controller. On Friday, I received all of my upgrades. My Steve's LEDs arrived 95% assembled even though I didn't order it that way, a nice surprise. It took me about an hour to install and it looks real good. I installed the MJ1200 and media baskets, added my chemipure and filter pads. New lighting and filter, tank looks good.

For the live stock, a mated pair of black ice clowns, a coral beauty angel and a blue tang (yes I know). Also they had a RBTA that had split and several small soft corals and minimal CUC. The tang is less than 2" so I will leave it in for now, I have taken out one of the RBTA and sold it. I added a handful of hermits and snails as I didn't think there were enough in there.

The LEDs make the tank look really blue in pictures but the nem has opened up bigger than I have ever seen it and it has started bubbling up the tips.

Oh and I did end up bringing home the 90g as well.

When I first got it...

After adding LEDs

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good and welcome to R2R! Glad to have you here!

OP
OP
C

cota472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of updated pics. I need to get more flow in the tank, the koralia that is in there is pretty worn out and even after a good cleaning, doesn't push a lot of water.

My toadstool looks awesome in pictures under the new LEDs, it is mostly white but the blue LEDs make it pop.

After the big BTA split again it has nice green coloring and bubbles up nicely.

Kenya Tree, I have tons of it, tan with brown polyps. hard to see the true color with LED pictures.

OP
OP
C

cota472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my WP25 this last weekend and set it up in the 90g and played with the different settings, it seems to move a lot of water. I moved it to the biocube and had forgot to lower it to minimum settings, I had waves of water splashing over the edges of the tank. After bringing the speed down, everything seems to be doing well with the increased flow.

OP
OP
C

cota472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the whites just a little more than the blues, right now it is set to 55% white 50% blue. I like the way it looks, it is a good balance.

gunguy05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup. I am considering either Steve's setup, or the Rapid LED, or the Aquastyleonline. What's your thoughts on the color of Steve's LED retrofit. Can you get a FTS with a color as close as possible to true and post it?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back