Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2903.jpeg
IMG_2902.jpeg
At my wits end. Trying to figure out why my SPS is retracted and Turbo snails are dying. Dipped a frag of acro in RODI and no bugs came out. But did notice a faint smell like Coral RX. I recently used this to dip corals on the recommendation from a new reef store. Maybe I didn’t rinse them off good enough? It was an elegance with a big skeleton. Tank is 120 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. All parameters are normal. LPS seems ok, but not top form. Zoas are playing peek a boo. Out then retracted.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all corals are happy after a Coral Rx, Revive or similar dip. Smooth skinned acropora and some softies are notorious for coming out of the dip in worse shape than they went in. Weak corals seem to always get weaker too. Some corals don't mind at all.

There are more gentle dips, but some have issues with them too. Bayer is very gentle and kills a lot of things but some will not use a product that can harm bees. Potassium Chloride is mostly coral safe, but it does not kill all pests on all corals - more of a SPS dip. Iodine used to be popular but I doubt that it gets all pests too.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on the coral type, I dip accordingly. Revive for LPS and softies. Did Bayer once and its way too involved, is not friendly to user or environment and I ost corals from the process. Yes, I followed the method. Nvr again. Was NOT happy! For SPS I use Potassium Chloride (KCL). Agree, this will not kill all the pests but it does irritate them, dislodging them from the coral via baster and brush before a remount new plug if possible. Although not 100%, sourcing stock from quality vendors helps reduce the possible introduction of pests in addition to preventative meausures / dips and ideally QT.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2904.jpeg
IMG_2903.jpeg
IMG_2902.jpeg
At my wits end. Trying to figure out why my SPS is retracted and Turbo snails are dying. Dipped a frag of acro in RODI and no bugs came out. But did notice a faint smell like Coral RX. I recently used this to dip corals on the recommendation from a new reef store. Maybe I didn’t rinse them off good enough? It was an elegance with a big skeleton. Tank is 120 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. All parameters are normal. LPS seems ok, but not top form. Zoas are playing peek a boo. Out then retracted.
Need more info like complete parameters, age of the tank. Etc... lights look very dim. Inverts can die for a variety of reasons but do release ammonia to especially large snails like turbos.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is running beautifully since may this year. This is my first real setback. A new (to me)reef shop gave me coral Rx and I used it. Now I have several lackluster corals, sps retraction, and dead turbos. The dipped frags are fine. Doing very well. This is one of several things that I’ve identified as possible culprits. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you gave those corals any kind of a rinse, then it was not likley the herbs and extracts in the Coral Rx. The oils, herbs, etc. should quickly break down or be consumed by something, if organic. I would look elsewhere for your issues if you are worried that a tiny bit of Coral Rx leftover from a dip is causing issues. If you got a lot of it in there, then that could be different.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is running beautifully since may this year. This is my first real setback. A new (to me)reef shop gave me coral Rx and I used it. Now I have several lackluster corals, sps retraction, and dead turbos. The dipped frags are fine. Doing very well. This is one of several things that I’ve identified as possible culprits. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Unless you are a very experienced reefer, SPS corals will not typically survive in a 5 month old tank which is usually unstable, experiencing ugly phases and has a beginning biome.

Please post full tank parameters along with light and flow.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is 8.0
kH is 8.9
Ca+ is 430
Mg is 1301
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Phosphate.12
Was running UV 24/7. Now it is off
Was running Refugium 24/7 now just 10 hours a day
Lighting 2x Kessil A360X Tuna Blue & Reef Brite Dual LED Strip Hybrid
Flow
2x VorTech MP40 Mobius Ready QuietDrive Pumps with QuietDrive controllers

2x VorTech MP10 Mobius Ready QuietDrive Pumps with QuietDrive controllers
Parameters are stable
Salt is 1.024
Sump is 36 inch trigger platinum
Skimmer is ReefOcto 250-int
HOB 5 gallon refugium
Dual COR-15 returns
Dosing 60mL calcium and 80 mL Alkalinity with BRS 2 part.
Testing with Neptune Trident 4x a day

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank?
Dipping, rinsing and placing will(should) not have any effect on other corals.
120 gallon 4x2x2 with about 20-35 in the sump. Ii think you are correct. Just trying to eliminate red herring and focus on the solution. It might be my RODI Or saltwater. 7 stage RODI was out of anion resin, although the mixed looked ok.
Or possibly a buildup of residue from keeping saltwater heated, stirred, and covered for a week. I rinsed out the 22 gallon brute and wiped it with a new bottle brush.
Or something else?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 gallon 4x2x2 with about 20-35 in the sump. Ii think you are correct. Just trying to eliminate red herring and focus on the solution. It might be my RODI Or saltwater. 7 stage RODI was out of anion resin, although the mixed looked ok.
Or possibly a buildup of residue from keeping saltwater heated, stirred, and covered for a week. I rinsed out the 22 gallon brute and wiped it with a new bottle brush.
Or something else?
Funny, anion usually gets used up because of CO2 in the water supply. Once it's aerated it's probably fine. And by aerated I need if you make salt with it and leave it stirring for a while.

I was just curious about the tank size because you have four (MP 2x10' and 2x40's) pumps and didn't say how big the tank was.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped in Coral Rx, then rinsed. Then added to the tank. Could this cause trouble with any other corals? Sorry if I was not clear
You post says you dipped the coral in RODI water. That could kill or damage the coral.
You should be adding the correct amount Coral Rx to an appropriate amount of saltwater that the coral is in. I've always use a small powerhead to circulate the water when doing this as well. Once it's been treated for the required time, rinse with a little tank water and place in the tank.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You post says you dipped the coral in RODI water. That could kill or damage the coral.
You should be adding the correct amount Coral Rx to an appropriate amount of saltwater that the coral is in. I've always use a small powerhead to circulate the water when doing this as well. Once it's been treated for the required time, rinse with a little tank water and place in the tank.
on the advice from another reefer, I broke off a small piece of coral and left it in RODI to test for parasites. I did follow the instructions on the coral RX and the dipped corals are not affected.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is extremely unlikely that residues in stored stirred salt water are a concern

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Doubling weekly water changes. (20% now). Slightly better polyp extension.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back