Should I re-dip recently dipped and bag LPS frags?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

Through the magic of Craigslist I was fortunate enough to find a local reefer selling some frags for good prices, and I picked some up today, they are currently floating in my tank now. I purchase two torches, two frogspawn, a hammer, a favia, a Duncan, and he gifted me a green nephthea softie. These are my first corals since about 2012 :)

When I found something I liked, he took his colony over to the band saw, sliced my frag off, and then he placed the frag in Coral RX dip, then rinsed and bag it. I didn’t really see what was going on when he did the dip, as far as if anything was falling off the frags or not.

Would you guys advise to dip these frags once more before placing them in my 10 gallon observation tank? Or, would you just place them in the observation tank, and then dip again only if I see pests or signs of disease?

Given that my torches, hammer, and frogspawns are susceptible to brown jelly disease, would you dip or treat them with anything else at this time? I have on hand Coral RX, Two Little Fishies’ Revive, Lugol‘s solution, hydrogen peroxide (which I read was NOT recommended for these LPS, but possibly for the softie?), fresh water, and I can get the Bayer insecticide locally if needed.

Thank you for your help!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

Through the magic of Craigslist I was fortunate enough to find a local reefer selling some frags for good prices, and I picked some up today, they are currently floating in my tank now. I purchase two torches, two frogspawn, a hammer, a favia, a Duncan, and he gifted me a green nephthea softie. These are my first corals since about 2012 :)

When I found something I liked, he took his colony over to the band saw, sliced my frag off, and then he placed the frag in Coral RX dip, then rinsed and bag it. I didn’t really see what was going on when he did the dip, as far as if anything was falling off the frags or not.

Would you guys advise to dip these frags once more before placing them in my 10 gallon observation tank? Or, would you just place them in the observation tank, and then dip again only if I see pests or signs of disease?

Given that my torches, hammer, and frogspawns are susceptible to brown jelly disease, would you dip or treat them with anything else at this time? I have on hand Coral RX, Two Little Fishies’ Revive, Lugol‘s solution, hydrogen peroxide (which I read was NOT recommended for these LPS, but possibly for the softie?), fresh water, and I can get the Bayer insecticide locally if needed.

Thank you for your help!

If it were me, I would try to look at them closely to see if there is anything on them before putting in observation tank. I think dipping twice so soon would do more harm than good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back