BJD dip everything or only infected?

stambo3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing cipro only in tank. Works like crazy. Doing it at night. On night 3. After day 2, difference is astounding.

Dose is water volume in liters times 0.125 divided by 10 taking from one 500g pill dissolved in 50 ml rodi.
Hello,
I am new to this hobby and many things are not very clear to me.
If i can ask:
Doesn't dosing with cipro / a type of antibiotic/ interfere with your fish and crustaceans?
Are you not dosing bacteria when administering cipro as I understand that the antibiotic also kills some of the beneficial bacteria? Do you have problems with water parameters immediately after dosing?
Thank you !!!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
If i can ask:
Doesn't dosing with cipro / a type of antibiotic/ interfere with your fish and crustaceans?
Are you not dosing bacteria when administering cipro as I understand that the antibiotic also kills some of the beneficial bacteria? Do you have problems with water parameters immediately after dosing?
Thank you !!!
I've dosed it twice over 3 years. Did not harm fish or inverts. Helped eliminate the bacteria infection in my corals that was spreading. No noticeable effects to my biome. Ciprofloaxin should be a last alternative remedy and used very sparingly when other remedies such as standard dips have failed.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Hello,
If i can ask:
Thank you !!!
It doesn’t. The company that tests tank bacteria did a pre and post bacteria culture of the tank on reef2reef. You should be able to find it easily.

Also tidal gardens recently did a video where he said they dose their tanks with it like once a year and it improves coral health. Forgot the video.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Hello,
If i can ask:
Thank you !!!
Here you go.

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an older post, relatively... But I may have just gotten inducted to the bjd club and am researching.
Last night, I looked in the tank when I came to bed and noticed that one of the heads of my beautiful, and otherwise happy, healthy and prolific duncan had its insides on the outside. I took it out, fragged it off and the other head is now opened back up, apparently forgiving me for last night's intrusion.

So, if I may ask questions...

First, FishPham, how is your tank?!?!?!?

Second, wellllll, ummmmmm... what the heck?!?!? Injury or disease?
This Duncan has been in the tank for a month or so. (Time slips when you work 12 hour shifts) It has been huge and gorgeous. Eats great. Open all the time, mostly. It is probably the top-most spot under low led lights. It may have been knocked over in the past few days by the Evil Dr.Megacrab. nothing new, there. I have one new frag in the tank that hubby brought home from the lfs clearance, but there are 5 or 6 other softies between them, that are still healthy.

I'll be joining it this morning, now that it has reopened and not died this morning. I was trying to minimize trauma, last night.

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be joining it this morning, now that it has reopened and not died this morning. I was trying to minimize trauma, last night.
Don't ask me where "joining" came from when it was supposed to say "dipping in iodine"

And the legs frag hubby brought home was orange/green zoas, not euphyllia.

OP
OP
F

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey @SueAbu ,

Tank has been doing great since the dip thanks for asking. I continued dosing Cipro in the tank for a week after dipping for extra measure and no problems since.

Recent pic:
92cf09be-8c8b-4d2e-9355-ac86f0ed25cd-1_all_24254.jpg

As for your Duncan, do you happen to have any pictures of the infected head? Doesn't sound like BJD but you cutting your losses with that one infected head doesn't hurt. Sometimes we just gotta make those sacrifices to prevent any more damage.

Since it's happy now, I'd recommend not doing anything and just keep a close eye on it. No reason to dip when it's already showing signs of recovering, but that's just me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back