Could i swap my rocks?

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a new scape in a slightly established tank, corals are growing haven't taken over rocks yet, and was wondering if it would mess things up? It would be dry rock

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends - Your rock is essentially your filter and if you remove it you will upset the nitryfying process it provides.

If you were adding new rock to existing id say its rarely an issue - But id be hesitant to swap your rock out completely as it will cuase a cycle to an extent.

Best options would either be to cycle the new rock seperately before adding into the tank or keep the majority of the old rock for a while too (in a sump is possible). It wont take too long for the bacteria to colonize the new rock anyway.

All of hte above is taking inot account that the new dry rock is suitable though - Some leeches PO4 etc. and requires soaking before use anyway.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefsnobeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends - Your rock is essentially your filter and if you remove it you will upset the nitryfying process it provides.

If you were adding new rock to existing id say its rarely an issue - But id be hesitant to swap your rock out completely as it will cuase a cycle to an extent.

Best options would either be to cycle the new rock seperately before adding into the tank or keep the majority of the old rock for a while too (in a sump is possible). It wont take too long for the bacteria to colonize the new rock anyway.

All of hte above is taking inot account that the new dry rock is suitable though - Some leeches PO4 etc. and requires soaking before use anyway.
Had a thought of, ehat If I just sat the structure in eith most of my current rock as I have not alot of rock in my tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back