Could it be stomatella snail ?

untitled

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
24
Location
Latvia,Aizkraukle
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell all !
I been ordered ~2 months ago about 5 stomatella snails from a "local" LFS. One of them was way bigger than the others.
Today morning I found it glass. Can you please confirm that this is a stomatella snail? Pictures attached but not the best quality...Will try to catch another one :)
Thanks in advance!

IMG_1144.jpeg IMG_1145.jpeg IMG_1146.jpeg
 
Yes that’s most likely a stomatella. I got a bunch for my tank and they’ve been busily breeding. Peaceful , eats algae, breeds prolifically. Big win.
 
Are yours also so huge?
Larger ones are about 1.5 inches but when the lights go out I’ve counted upwards of 40+ recently ranging from about a millimeter all the way to the larger for 2 or 3
 
new pics attached, I think we were wrong... could be sea hare ? Dolabella auricularia
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1217.jpeg
    IMG_1217.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1216.jpeg
    IMG_1216.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 58
new pics attached, I think we were wrong... could be sea hare ? Dolabella auricularia
Definitely not a Stomatella. I would also say it's some sea hare, but I unfortunately cannot tell you the species.
 
new pics attached, I think we were wrong... could be sea hare ? Dolabella auricularia
Definitely a sea hare; not Dolabella auricularia - those have a distinctive, semi-circle shaped tail part (the pics in the link below are helpful for showing what I'm talking about):
https://www.seaslugforum.net/find/dolaauriI'm fairly certain this is a Dolabrifera species, but telling them apart without examining their shells and male reproductive organs is very tentative.* I would guess D. edmundsi based on coloration and shape, but I can't say for sure.

*Source:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...lusca_Gastropoda_Heterobranchia_Aplysiomorpha
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new